~ Chapter - 3 ~

That night, Mullai had the best sleep in the last two years. She opened her eyes with much effort and she saw that it was already late morning. She remembered vaguely, a few times when she shouted in the middle of the night but magically she had gone back to sleep even after that. She didn't know what made her find her peace after all the tremor that filled her heart. The answer to all her confusions was there as a heaviness over her right hand. She turned to find Kathir holding her hand tightly and had his head over it, deep in sleep. Her heart did beat painfully to see him sitting on the floor and leaning over the bed in an uncomfortable position. He had slept like that, probably for the entire night.

Mullai slowly removed her hand without disturbing him and sat there unmoving gulping in the scene before her. How would anyone expect her to put Kathir in that similar state for his entire life? She didn't want her peace at the cost of his. She had tears in her eyes, when she imagined what he would have gone through as he saw her wrecking and shouting in her sleep. She can't make the pain constant in his life. She made up her mind that moment, to never let him win in the matter of their marriage. But she knew convincing him was an herculean task. Her phone beeped catching her attention and a message popped up from a number which she had been constantly avoiding for the past two weeks. An idea made its way in her mind automatically, though she knew how foolish it was. She had to try in every way possible and one easy way was to move herself out of his good books. She picked up her phone and left the room. The only thing she wanted now was to make Kathir hate her.

~~~~~

It was late in the evening when they signed the deal. It was Mullai's first business milestone and she was both excited and nervous about it. The men behaved much better than the last time and it all went perfectly fine. The two days of the weekend were a holiday for both their companies. So Kathir and Kanna were packing off things to leave home as soon as possible, after sending off the clients. Their families had not returned back and they all were to stay in Mullai's house even that night. When they least expected it, Mullai spoke of something that was completely out of her character, "neenga veetuku ponga naan vara late night aagum... I am going out on a date tonight...", both Kanna and Kathir stopped in their tracks but before Kathir could react, Kanna laughed out saying, "ethu date ah... yen anni comedy panreenga... modhalla dating ku spelling sollunga papom...". The sarcasm in his voice got on her nerves quickly, "yenda enaku boyfriend iruka koodatha... I am not into any commitment now... naa yaara vena eppa vena date pannalaam... oor suthalaam... athu en ishtam...".

Kathir tapped on Kanna's shoulders, gesturing to him to keep quiet. He guessed she was not joking and was making up an act or trying to prove a point to them. He calmly said to her, "dharaalama poitu vaa Mulla... aana enga pora yaaroda pora nu sollitu po... unga amma appa enna nambi unna vittutu poyirukaanga... just as an information ah sollu pothum...". Mullai didn't like that calm demeanor of Kathir at all, she had expected something else. He had come at her as an out of syllabus and she answered him like an obedient child, "athu dinner apram night show padathuku... vara midnight mela aagum... athu namma street la irukaangala Rajesh nu peru... avunga kooda... he was asking me out for a long time... inniku free so I said okay...". Kathir gave her a business nod and turned towards the things he was arranging, giving her orders which she had no heart to deny, "driver anna ooda en car la po... naanum Kannavum taxi la veetuku poikurom... night vandhutu enaku call pannu I will open the door for you... I know you will take care of yourself... enna okay thaana...".

Mullai stood there stunned, not knowing what to react to this epitome of a gentleman. He had collected his things and held the door, looking into her eyes, waiting for an answer. She looked at his eyes and just nodded at him, the next second he was out of her sight. Mullai was speechless and Kanna came near her saying, "anni... annan ungala veetla ellaru kittayum sanda pottu rendu varusham Germany ku padika anupchuthu... athu kitta poyi idhu laam sellathu... innum better ah yosichirukalaam... aana unmaiya poreengana onne onnu mattum solren... antha Rajesh oru payithiyam ten minutes kooda unganaala thaaku pudika mudiyaathu... odi vandhuruveenga... annan nammalukaaga night special dinner laam order panniruku... avana pathi therinja odane oodi vandhurunga... late paneengana saapaadu gaali aagirum... athuku naa porupu illa... na varen... bye anni...". Mullai knew she was fighting a lost battle but still she wanted to give it a try for Kathir. She took her things and started towards the restaurant from which she wanted to run away, even before reaching there. She couldn't believe she was going out with someone, who should have been in her blocked list by now.