25. A new sense of home

Start from the beginning

"I'm scared to meet your mum and dad" I admitted reservedly with an embarrassed croaky laugh that rumbled against George's chest.

Once, what would later be known as, the great downfall of Christmas 1996 had commenced and our winter break continued the way it should have begun, the days rolled themselves into one, and the eve of Chritsmas had dawn on us sooner than could have been foretold.

Everyone was frantic downstairs, collecting up, now disregarded, firewhiskey bottles, empty packets of cigarettes, courtesy of Bill, and general mess from things that likely would not have been condoned in the presence of Mrs Weasley.

And although Ron constantly moaned about the ludicracy of nine wizards and witches neglecting to use magic to clean such a mess, Bill argued the fact that their mother would suspect the use of improper methods to tidy her home and therefore manual labour proved to be our best bet.

"Ari, they're going to love you!" George reassured, pulling me from my dissociation as I listened to the muted shouts sounding from downstairs.

"How can you be so sure?" I challenged, desperate to flaw his statement and find a rational reason to drown in the pool of self pity I was doing a rather good job of wallowing in for the moment.

"How can I be sure?" He chuckled, holding me tighter and inhaling the scent of my freshly washed hair, "Do you trust me?"

"Yes" I confirmed with slight hesitance, still reluctant in most situations to hand over the control or admit that I was in fact having troubling lower my walls and letting someone in.

"Then believe me when I say that mum and dad are going to love you. Now get your sorry ass up off my floor and get changed" George stated, loosening his grip around my body slightly and glancing down to meet my eyes.

"Get changed?" I questioned, looking down at my jeans and large cream knitted jumper I had stolen from Remus before leaving Hogwarts, relishing the scent of chocolate and tea that somehow was uniquely his own.

"You're wearing that?" George asked, trying to conceal the distaste and bitterness in his tone.

"I just...I thought, I-um" I stammered, thrown off by George's sudden and out of character response.

"I'm joking Lupin, you look great" He chuckled deeply but was soon silenced as I swatted him forcefully upside the head and climbed out of his arms, brushing myself down as I stood up.

"I deserved that" He admitted, standing up himself and leading me downstairs.

"You most certainly did Weasley"

We chuckled to ourselves until we reached the bottom step, both of us being immediately silenced by the scene unfolding before us. Somehow the room was messier and was in more disarray than before George and I slipped upstairs to get changed.

The mopping had resulted in Ron and Ginny standing in an endless puddle of soapy water that was slowly migrating around the room, whilst Harry and Fred crept around the shards of broken glass bottles caused by presumably the breaking of an overfilled bin bag, and Hermione and Tonks assisted Bill who was attempting to remount the curtains that were most definitely attached to the wall the last time I had checked.

"Oh. My. God" I whispered to George who shot me looks as though to say 'lets sneak away before anyone notices were here' But before I had the chance to respond, the water had reached the other end of the room and had come into contact with a cardboard box in the corner labeled "Property of F&G Weasley touch at your own risk"

"Fuck" George whispered nervously as he watched the water darken the rim of the cardboard.

"Fuck? Oh no George, what's in that box?" I asked cautiously, unsure as to whether I actually wanted the answer, but he didn't need to respond, nor did he have the time, as my question was answered for me.