The World The Girl Saw

Start from the beginning

"Stop it, you two!" Christa ran between them, arms out. "We're all shaken up here. All our friends are suddenly dying left and right. It's natural we're upset."

Ymir threw an arm around her. "That's my Christa! Marry me when this is over!" She laughed loudly. It sounded forced.

"Yeah," Connie said, "she is clowning around more than usual."

So she does care about her comrades somewhat. Erwin thought. The ill attempt at distracting them was for their sake so they wouldn't fall into a hole of misery and despair like Armin had.

Connie knelt before Armin. "Anyway, we can't stay here. Can you stand, Armin?"

"I'm sorry for the trouble." Armin stood and walked away. "I'll rendezvous with the rearguard."

"Hey, Armin!"

"Let's go, Connie!"

"We've been ordered to advance!"

Connie watched Armin for another second before turning.

|~|

This is hell. Armin stared at the blood splatters on the ground as he flew. No, it hasn't become hell. I was just mistaken until now. This world has always been hell, from the very beginning. He remembered his childhood, being picked on by bullies. The strong prey on the weak.

Armin looked at his lap. Why did they have to watch him be so pathetic? See his insecurities and weaknesses. His friends wouldn't hold it against him, he knew. But he didn't want to face them and see the pity in their eyes.

It's such a simple, straightforward world. Little Eren and Mikasa ran toward him. It's just, my friends… Eren punched one of the bullies and Mikasa threw another into a wall. They tried to be strong in this world… Little Armin looked up at Eren's extended hand. They helped me, someone who was weak.

"Armin, that's—"

"Don't." His voice didn't shake, much to his relief. "I don't need your pity." He finally looked at them, eyes wet. Eren and Mikasa were watching him with concern in their eyes. "Please." To his relief, they didn't say anything and looked away.

I couldn't bear it! Armin glanced up to Eren and Mikasa, looking at him with protective gazes. They saw me as someone who needed to be protected.

Eren wanted to deny it. But he knew it was the truth. He did want to protect his friends. But it didn't mean anything demeaning. It was just who he was.

Tears ran down Armin's face. I wanted to live in this world like them… I wanted to be strong and stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them. The hook failed to lodge into the wall. Armin crashed. He cried, holding his ankle. And this is the result. Because of me, Eren wound up…

Hearing sniffles, Armin opened his eyes. He walked over to the young woman. "Hannah, what are you doing?"

"Armin! Help!" Hannah was crying. "Franz isn't breathing! I've tried resuscitating him over and over and over but it's not working!"