Chapter 2

Chapter Two

Time was quickly running out. I’d spent another day running down leads that led precisely nowhere. During that time, two more young women disappeared.

That evening I received a call on my implant from Joel.

“Sunrise. Remember that shiny liquid we found at one of the crime scenes?”

“Of course.”

“Well, we found several more drops at the scene of one of the latest disappearances. Our forensic guys can’t identify the stuff, so it’s nuthin’ that could be picked up just anywhere. That pretty much proves there’s a connection between at least some of the disappearances.”

Good. He’d confirmed my hunch.

Joel kept talking. “We’re now classifyin’ those two girls as abducted and the feds have been called in. Watch your back. With them pokin’ around, you don’t need to get caught up in the investigation.”

“Thanks for the warning, Joel. I appreciate it.”

“Don’t mention it. By the way, I left you a sample of one of the droplets at the usual place. I hope you have better luck identifyin’ it than we’ve had. Take care of yourself.”

I thanked him again and disconnected the call.

For the first time, I had something to go on. Not much, but something. If the crime scene techs couldn’t identify the liquid, I wasn’t sure I could find anyone better.

I hurried downstairs and hopped in my car. Despite noonday traffic, I reached Griffin Park in under ten minutes. Checking both ways for tails, I sauntered over to the nearest park bench. For the next fifteen minutes, I pretended I was enjoying the afternoon sun. Behind my shades, however, I carefully scanned the surrounding countryside for anyone who looked out of place.

Finally, satisfied I wasn’t being watched I blew my nose, strolled over to the nearby trash bin, and tossed the crumpled tissue, missing on purpose. I held onto the bin for balance and bent over to pick up the tissue. Once down there, I tipped the bin back a fraction and slid my hand underneath. Joel’s tiny envelope was right where it was supposed to be. It took only a moment to palm it. I retrieved the tissue and dropped it in the bin.

After a few more minutes of catching rays on the bench, I returned to my car and drove to the hotel. Back in my room, I ripped open the envelope. A specimen slide encased in cardboard slid out onto my palm. The liquid was sealed between two pieces of plexi. Just as before, the surface appeared iridescent, like oil, and the body of it translucent with the faintest pink tint.

I considered who might be able to help me identify the liquid. I still had some contacts at the local university from my days on the force. I decided to start there.

* * * *

“Any ideas, Professor?”

Stefan Dumbrowski, Professor Emeritus of the School of Geophysical Sciences at Browning University, stared at the information on the wallscreen. He was a tall, cadaverously thin, elderly man with sparse white hair. He appeared fragile, like a good sneeze could snap him in two, but I’d stack his intellect up against anyone’s.

The school offered advanced studies in geology, petrochemicals, vulcanology, and other disciplines. As a well-funded private university, it had the latest analytical gear and some of the leading experts in their fields.

Dumbrowski frowned at the screen and softly tapped his lips with his index finger. “Where did you get this sample?”

“I’m not at liberty to say, but it was a crime scene. Why?”