Chapter 37

In the inner courtyard of the main residence in Undercity, a swirling blue portal winked into existence. The legionnaires in close vicinity immediately sounded the alarm and yelled for others to join them. However, before they had time to fully surround the portal, two bodies and a black creature spilled out. In the next breath, the portal disappeared as if it was never there.

The soldiers in the courtyard dropped into battle stances.

"Wait, it's me!" Perci gasped out as she quickly struggled to her feet.

The legion promptly dropped their swords and sheathed them, but she could tell they were wary to do so. Cerberus proceeded to jump up from his sprawled position and grew to the size of a horse so he could nuzzle and lick her cheek. Perci gripped him tight and used him to hold herself upright as the relief of being home tried to bring her to her knees. However, there was no time to truly relax as she heard Maya's pained groan.

Maya had landed hard on her elbow on the flagstones and with her already raw bleeding back, she was in mounting agony. Perci bent down to help the seraph to her feet and led her to the low stone wall that surrounded the fountain at the centre of the courtyard. She collapsed on it with a grunt, but couldn't bring herself to release Perci's hand. Getting the message, she sat down beside her and tucked Maya's head into her shoulder. It wasn't long before she felt tears dampen the fabric of her dress and sobs wrack Maya's slender frame.

Perci raised her head to find the welcome sight of Grawd, a troll demon who she had befriended in the past month. He was currently ushering the abundance of legionnaires away, but stopped when she caught his eye. 'Get Lucan' she mouthed at him and he bowed instantly before running off into the building. A few moments later and the courtyard was empty save for the two of them and Cerberus, who curled his enormous form at their feet.

"Are you alright?" Perci asked Maya, who moved away and wiped her face.

"I'm sorry, I just-" She cut herself off to strangle the sob that wanted to surface.

"It's been an intense few hours for you, I think you're owed a little cry."

Maya's answering smile was watery and weak, but she didn't cry anymore.

"Where's Abaddon?" She asked, finally looking around the courtyard.

"I've sent someone to look for him, but he's likely with Lucan outside the seraph stronghold I was supposed to come back through."

Five minutes later, Grawd jogged back through a set of doors.

"I'm sorry, my Queen. King Lucan and the Second are still away from Undercity at the moment."

"What about Lillith, Zagan and Valefar?"

"Lillith is the only one in residence."

"Okay, tell Lillith to meet us in the upper lounge and find a healer who can work on seraph." Grawd nodded after casting Maya a confused look and rushed away. "Cerberus?" The familiar in question raised his head to look at her. "I know you're tired and want to rest but I need you to find Lucan and Abaddon and bring him home as fast as possible. Can you do that?"

Cerberus huffed and dragged his face along her stomach with a grumble, but quickly shrunk down to race off through the main residence.

"C'mon, let's get you somewhere comfortable whilst we wait for the men to return." Perci helped Maya to stand and together they tiredly hobbled through the main residence to the lounge.

Once there, Perci carefully lowered Maya on one of the couches and stepped away to pour them both a glass of water from the small kitchenette that was always ready and stocked. As Perci handed the drink to Maya, the door swung open and Lillith barged in.