Back to work

Today was the day Derek would be returning to work. He stood at the bathroom door and watched as both Meredith and Oscar slept. Meredith's blonde hair fell freely across her face and Oscar slept soundly with his arms stretched above his head. Derek glanced at the time and sighed knowing he had to leave. He made his way over to Meredith's side, brushed the hair out of her face and then leaned down to kiss the side of her.

"Mer." Derek's whispered. "Mer, hey." He watched as she rolled over, smiled at him and leaned into his hand that was resting on his cheek. "Hey, I'm just leaving for work, are you going to be alright?"

"Yeah, we are going to have a lazy day again, maybe go for a walk if the weather is good. I think Addison is popping over later." She watched as Derek's eyes diverted to Oscar and he stared lovingly at him. Also, she could sense that Derek didn't want to go. "Der, are you alright?" She giggled before pushing her body up and moving next to Derek to look at Oscar.

"He is just so new and I can't believe he is 2, nearly 3 weeks old now. I don't want to go back to work." He moved his hand and placed it on Meredith's leg, giving it a squeeze.

"Der, you're an attending now, so your days are shorter and you make your own schedule, so relax. Also, you need to go back otherwise you would go insane, you love to cut and now, you can look forward to coming home to us later. Now go before you're late." She placed her fingers on his jawline and turned his head towards hers so she could brush her lips against his.

Derek deepened the kiss before Meredith pulled away and he pouted his bottom lip. She giggled at him and playfully shoved his shoulder before lying back down in the bed and closing her eyes. He kissed the side of her head once more before leaving for work.

Meredith woke around 30 minutes later as Oscar started to whimper quietly. She moved and scooped him up into his arms before his cries escalated. Adjusting the two of them, she allowed him to watch on and start to feed.

"So, it's just me and you today little man. Daddy has gone to work but he will be back later, promise." She ran her finger across his small, chubby cheek. "We can nap all day, but we are going to go for a walk, mommy needs to loose this baby weight even though daddy insists that 'I look perfect'." Meredith rolled her eyes and watched as Oscar pried his blue eyes open and looked up at her. "You look so much like your dad."

Meredith waited for Oscar to finishing feeding before burping him and then moved down the stairs. She placed him in his swing and moved around the kitchen. Placing the radio on low, she quickly moved round the kitchen and cleaned up the mess that was left from the night before. Once that was done, she made herself some toast and coffee then took her seat at the table.

Pulling out her phone, she quickly texted Derek before finishing up her breakfast. As she sipped at her coffee she looked as Oscar slept peacefully, swinging gently, she smiled to herself before moving to place her plate and cup in the dishwasher.

The morning passed them by and before she knew it Meredith was out on a walk with Oscar. He was resting comfortably in his pram, whilst Meredith was dressed in her leggings, long sleeved top and body warmer as she set off for the park. Whilst she was walking her phone rang.

"Hey Der, how's your first day back going?" Meredith asked whilst smiling to herself.

"Good, as much as I don't want to admit it, it's good to be back. But I can't wait to get home to the both of you later, how's your day going?"

"I told you would be fine once you was there. We are good, just on a walk at the minute, trying to shift this baby weight." Meredith listened as Derek sighed.

"Mer, what have I told you, you gave birth less then 3 weeks ago, you look gorgeous! So less of that, anyways, give Oscar a kiss for me, I've got to go, love you."

"Love you too." Meredith listened as the phone clicked off and she slipped hers back in her pocket.

Meredith continued her walk, she smiled at the thought of Derek and Oscar running round the park together when he was older. Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard someone shouting her name. She looked round confused before her eyes rested on the mystery person, she squinted her eyes until she realised who it was.

"Meredith, hey." The younger brunette smiled and stopped in front of Meredith.

"Lexie." Meredith turned the pushchair around so they couldn't see Oscar as she also saw her father approaching. "And Thatcher, what a pleasure."

"Meredith." Thatcher walked up and stood next to Lexie. "You had a baby?" He asked as he directed his eyes towards the pushchair.

"Yeah, yeah I did." Meredith looked down at Oscar and smiled, doing anything to avoid making eye contact with either of them. "Look, I need to go, he will be waking up for a feed soon."

"Can't I see him?" Lexie asked as she tried to look round and into the pushchair.

"Look, he is a newborn and I don't want him around strangers." Meredith watched as Lexie's face dropped. "Look Lexie, you are welcome to come round one day but right now isn't a good time, I need to go, bye." Meredith waved her hand and made a quick exit.

She headed straight home and got in just in time for Oscars next feed. Settling down on the sofa, she let Oscar latch on and felt the tears begin to rise to her eyes. Quickly, she wiped them away and looked down at Oscar. Growing up, she never knew how he father could just walk away from her but now having Oscar, she really couldn't understand it. How could he leave this?

But she smiled to herself when she realised that Oscar would never, ever have to go through what she went through. Derek would never walk away from him, even if the two of them didn't work out, which she really hoped they did.

*A/N*
I have literally been the worst for uploading lately but I haven't been feeling very well and I've only just started feeling better and got the motivation to get back to writing! So I do apologise!

Will upload again a bit later on, thanks for reading my stories and leaving the kindest comments!