Part 1 - Nightmares and Future Dreams

Comenzar desde el principio

You didn't have kids. There had been no time for that yet. You weren't even sure if you were ready to become a mother. Now, or ever, if you thought about it long enough. Tom and you hadn't talked about it much either. It just wouldn't have been the right time. He was busy at the Ministry, you still had your training with Miss Toffana and, if you were honest, you were barely adults yourself. No need to worry about kids just yet.

The tips of Tom's fingers stroked tenderly across your skin. They felt like floating feathers, only barely touching you ever so often and practically invited you to close your eyes again.

"Ten more minutes then?" you asked, inching even closer.

"Of course."

In the afternoon, the two of you visited your parents, like you did every other Sunday

In the afternoon, the two of you visited your parents, like you did every other Sunday. Tea and biscuits were served in the sitting room and you had just taken a digestive from the tray when Mother sat down next to Father.

"So, how have you been?" she asked. "Any news?"

You looked at Tom and hummed as your mind wandered over the events going on in the last weeks. Nothing extraordinary had happened. Nothing life-changing at least. No story could compare to the one of how Tom and you had gotten together, to be fair. That year of your life had probably been the most exciting one, even if it had been the most dangerous one as well.

"Nothing much," you said. "Oh, Miss Toffana commended me for the first time ever last week. That was pretty exciting. She showed me different techniques on how to handle this rare herb. It's called Porcupine's Head, even if it looks nothing like a porcupine and if you only touch it really lightly exactly where the stem meets the first shoot, it won't poison you."

"That's great, dear," Mother said and raised her eyebrows the way she always did when guests were telling their mundane stories. She took a sip from her cup and smiled at you. "Tom, how has work been for you? Having fun at the Ministry?"

"Yes, it's alright. The work itself isn't so bad, it's the people I have to work with making it quite the test from time to time."

Your parents chuckled. "Well, I'm sure a quick talk to Mr Malfoy might help with that."

Brutus Malfoy II, Abraxas' father, was Tom's superior at the Ministry. Tom worked a desk job at the Invisibility Task Force in the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes. Mr Malfoy was head of the Department as well as Junior Minister. Everyone knew of him inside the halls of the Ministry and if they didn't admire him, they feared him.

"That's true," Tom agreed. "But I'm not sure if I want to ask him for a favour just yet. I've only worked there for a little over a year and there might be more important things to ask for in the future."

"Clever boy," Father said. "And you're not planning to stay at your current position, you said?"

"No, I'd rather work somewhere at Law Enforcement, but, you know, the internal hierarchy must be followed somehow. I need to prove myself worthy." He looked down into his teacup and frowned. "However that might work in an office. Brew the best coffee, maybe?"