"Before you two got together, Erwin and I placed bets on who would make the first move. I thought for sure it would be you, (Y/N), but Erwin was convinced Captain Shorty over here had enough balls to do it."

Levi glared at Hange. "And?"

A wide grin spread across her face. "Let's just say my drinks were free for a whole two months."

(Y/N) glanced over at Levi with a smile on her face. "Aww!"

Hange adjusted her glasses. "However, it's not like you did it entirely of your own volition. Erwin and I slaved away day after day trying to get the two of you alone together." She leaned forward. "Do you want to hear something real juicy?"

The pair shot quick glances at each other, then nodded.

"Levi came into my office last week, asking if I could help him figure out how to buy an engagement ring." She said, almost exclusively talking to (Y/N).

(Y/N)'s lips parted, and her mouth threatened to curl into a smile. Levi's attention snapped to her immediately, but she was nervous to look at back at him. She wondered what her other self would have been feeling right now, with the memories of two years of courtship with this man. Even after one week, she felt warm inside, like she wasn't even opposed to the idea at all. Was she going crazy?

Finally, she turned toward him, letting out an exhale. Her smile came out as well. She stared at him for a few seconds before tearing her eyes away, locking them again on Hange, who was smiling up a storm.

"Really?" (Y/N) gasped.

Hange nodded emphatically. "Oh, (Y/N), it was precious."

Levi groaned. "Shut up."

"Awww, shorty, come on!" Hange tried to defend herself, but made the mistake of using her nickname for the captain one too many times.

He raised his fist in the air. "I will use this."

She propelled backwards in her chair, almost knocking herself to the ground. "Okay! Okay! Sorry."

(Y/N) was overtaken by giggles at this point. Hange joined her after a little while.

"So, (Y/N). If you said our reality was depicted to you through an animated series, who was your favorite character?"

(Y/N) looked at her, dumbfounded. "Uh, Hange? I think you might be able to answer your own question." She tilted her head towards the man next to her, who had pressed his lips together, fighting back a smirk.

"Duh!" She smacked herself in the forehead. "I'm an idiot!" She laughed.

"Yes, you are." Levi stood up from the chair, deciding he was done with this conversation. He turned his back toward the laughing woman. "Thanks for your help."

"Anytime, you two!" She called out. "I'll keep you updated if I find out anything interesting."

She saw them out of her office, and the pair walked back down the hallway. They still had a few more hours until the trial was to begin.

As soon as they had re-entered Levi's room, he slumped to the ground, head in his hands. (Y/N) spun around and immediately crouched down next to him.

"Levi? What's wrong?"

"This is all too much." He mumbled, his voice muffled. "I-I just... I just want our memories back, (Y/N)."

(Y/N) kneeled next to him, placing her hand on his arm.

He continued. "I am happy to be with you now, (Y/N), don't get me wrong, but knowing there was so much more to our relationship... two whole years... and we just lost it. We don't even know why. It isn't fair."