13

"What do you want Sirius?" She asked as she pulled her knees to her chest.

"Well I saw what happened." He said as he walked over to sit in front of her. "I just wanted to make sure you were ok."

"Yea, well I'm not ok." She said frustrated. "I'm sad, I'm angry, and most of all I'm confused!" She ran a hand through her hair as the tears continued down her face. "I don't understand." Her head fell onto her knees as cries racked through her body.

What do I do what do I do what do I do what do I do. She could hear Sirius panicking in his head. Shit shit shit Remus what did you do.

"Why did he do it." She asked looking up at Sirius.

"I don't know, Bells." He said trying his best to comfort the girl. Shit I'm not helping at all.

"I thought we had a unspoken thing going on... I thought he liked me..."

"He did like yo- he does like you." Sirius said. "He always talks about how great you are. Not around James but..."

"Then why was he snogging Mary MacDonald?"

Shit that probably didn't help. Come on brain work. "I wish I knew, Bella." He said as he moved around to put his arm around her shoulder. Her head fell to his shoulder as tears continued to stream down her face. "I'm sorry, Bella." He said hugging her tightly.

"Thank you, Sirius."

"For what?"

"For trying to help me. Trying to cheer me up." She said with a small smile.

He got up slowly and held his hand out to her. "Come on, don't let this ruin your night." He said as she grabbed his hand.

"Sirius, I can't go back to the party." Her face dropped down to the floor.

"Why not?"

"Well for one thing, I don't think I can stand to see Remus and Mary again." She began to list of the reasons.

"I'll keep you away from them." He said taking a step closer to me.

"Second, I probably look horrible now."

"You could never look horrible." He said reaching up to wipe a stray tear from the girls cheek.

She sighed, "Fine let's go." She grabbed his hand and leading them both back to the party.

•••

Remus couldn't look away from his best friend dancing with Arabella. Why did he have to be so stupid. As confused as it made him, he couldn't deny how happy they looked together as the danced. Did he really like Arabella? Did she really like him? As he watched Arabella and Sirius dance together he realized how happy she looked.

The huge smile that lit up Arabellas face radiated happiness. Lily and Marlene both noticed this as well. It was as if nothing had happened before. If anyone looked at her now they would see what it looked like the happiest person in the world.

Maybe the alcohol in her system was helping her, but no one could deny the chemistry between her and the charming boy.

Half past twelve

Another song started as Arabella climbed onto on of the empty tables in the room. Now this was definitely an outcome of the alcohol.

Her body flowed freely to the music as almost everybody watched her with a smile on their face. Her smile and laugh were contagious.

There's not a soul out there
No one to hear my prayers

Bella started to sing along to the song along with a lot of other students.

Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight

Bella sang loudly with the others as she pointed at Sirius who was laughing happily at her positive attitude.

Won't somebody help me chase the shadows away

She reached her hand out to him which he took with a smile still on his face.

Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight

He joined her on the table as she sang, putting her arms around his neck as she continued to dance to the song.

They danced for hours, the smiles never leaving their face.

"They look happy." Marlene said with a smile on her face.

"They do. She looks like she was never even crying." Lily said looking at the smile that hadn't left her face since she had returned to the party.

"She's gonna be hungover as hell tomorrow." Marlene said watching as Sirius carried her out of the room of requirement laughing as she continued to joke around with him as they left.

"Probably." Lily said with a laugh. "I've already made hangover potions for tomorrow."

"Thank god." Marlene said before drinking some more fire whiskey.