The Training

Ever since my powers surfaced, I started to take lessons at the creek near the Telmarine Castle. The naiads of Telmar had been given strict instructions from Commander Octavian about them teaching me how to control water.

And I was an okay student?

Thunderride was present there to help me with the training. We had spent practically every morning together and she could notice that I was in a mood that day. "All okay?"

I huffed. "Caspian wants me to choose ladies-in-waiting and a personal guard."

She raised her eyebrows at me

She raised her eyebrows at me. "Woah! You're making big decisions then."

I sighed. "I never thought life would change so much, you know?"

"Get used to it, Sophie." She laughed. "This is only the beginning. I'm technically not supposed to address you as that because, well...."

She was struggling for words. "The confident Thunderride is not able to talk today." I teased her. "I know, don't worry about it. I hope people realise that I'm still me and that I still like relying on people that make me feel....safe."

She nodded. "Well then," I frowned at her. "Shall we start your training?"

The naiads taught me how to expand my vacuum spheres so that conversations could take place inside easily. It was basically a sphere that would create a space free of water on the sea bed so people could talk to each other. The mermaids helped me control the extent of the sphere by slowing down the speed of water.

But Thunderride was definitely Glenstorm's niece, and she was neither helpful nor easy. She was very strict and increased the flow of water while I tried to hold the sphere. I put up a fight and was able to master it within a few days.

Then came the task that I was really looking forward to - controlling water over fire.

After finishing the training at the creek, I shook the water from my hands and wiped the water droplets from my eyebrows. I walked into the forest and saw Thunderride holding a candle in her hand.

"So?" I raised my eyebrows at her. She smiled and dropped her candle. I was too late to realise what had happened until I was standing in a ring of fire. "Thunder!"

"Fight your way through it."

I looked around me. I was stuck. There were no water bodies around and I had never tried to control water from such a distance. "I...." I was panicking. I was surrounded by fear. The heat was getting to me.

"Think, Sophie! Think! Don't let the heat distract you."

I was hyperventilating.

I tried to control my breathing when Trumpkin's taunts entered my head. I couldn't disappoint him. Thunderride looked worried for me because I had my unagi down. "The creek is not the only water body here."

I looked at her and she simply nodded at me.

Her words started to make sense. The creek wasn't the only water body around.

I brought my hands together as if they were on top of the other and let out a deep breath. I closed my eyes and willed for the moisture in the air to come to my help. I felt a chillness seep through me as the water answered.

"That's it. That's it, Sophie. That's it."

The heat seemed to die down and when I opened my eyes, the last steam from the burnt out fire was escaping the ground. When I looked down, I saw that the hem of my skirt was singed, but I was unhurt.

"Ah, I liked this dress."

Thunderride nodded approvingly when I walked over to her. "Not bad, my Queen. Not bad at all."

I took the towel that she had brought me and started to wipe my hair. "Next time," I breathed out. "Give me a fair warning."

"Well, to be honest, the enemy never gives you warning. This will be useful to you one day. Trust me." She winked. "How was your gravity bubble training?"

"Ah, that!"

Gravity bubble was a technique that Commander Octavian had tried to teach me in short when he helped the Dawn Treader from the tardiness of the Green Mist. It was a way of controlling water so that I could ride it without the molecules acting up.

I mean, that was the explanation that I could come to because the subject of chemistry in Narnia was different from the one that I had learnt in my previous world. Controlling the molecules was difficult because it required me to imagine what it would look like.

And guess what? I did not like Chemistry, and I never paid more attention during classes.

Imagining them came hard but my teachers were quite patient with me. They told me to imagine a block of wood and then think about shaking it. But I was improving on it. When Cas asked me how I had managed to do it before, I didn't know how to tell him that I was trying to save him. That's what motivated me.

And that day, I had found my key.

"It's going really well. They are impressed by my new motivation." Now that I had found the cause behind what anchored my powers, it was easy to bring about the motivation.

"And how are the wedding preparations?" The look on my face made her break out laughing. "Come on, it cannot be that bad!"

"It is that bad. I'm the bride and I'm not even worried about it."

"Nina is hovering over you, huh?"

"She wants everything to be perfect." I had quoted her. "And I am going crazy there. They are not allowing Caspian and me to see each other. I have no clue what is running in their minds. Evelyn seems to be around me constantly and Trumpkin and the Professor aren't leaving Caspian's side. Even Rumira seems to be a part of this."

"All this will get over soon, right?" She pointed out. "The date is nearing. Glenstorm is getting the location ready. They are...." She didn't want to reveal too much. "They are deciding on the flowers."

I raised my eyebrows at her

I raised my eyebrows at her. "You are a bad liar, my friend."

"I didn't know what else to say!"

I laughed. "Wait, that reminds me." I looked up at her. "Robin wanted to meet me. Oliver wanted us to confirm the location actually for the setting on the table and-"

"I get it. They need you to do bridal stuff." She stopped trotting. "Well, thank you for keeping me sane over all this fuss."

"You are stealing my lines. I should be saying that!" I handed her the towel and saluted with two fingers. "Have fun with the hidden location!"

Narnians were trying their best to keep the planning a secret from me and Caspian. Their talks with me were very limited. Mark was planning a huge reveal and I wasn't going to throw mud all over their hard work.

"Have fun yourself!"