Chapter 34; Moving on

Start from the beginning

Goosebumps blossomed on my neck. If it was him, I would just delete it straight away, without a moment's thought.

Yoona, my name's Gong Yeseul, and I work for No air publishing. We're releasing the next Crescent fan book and currently collecting together all the images and footage from the last tour.

I hope you don't mind me contacting you like this, but Ceo Myungjun said we should drop you a line.

Ceo-nim? I frowned at the screen. We'd only met at that time, outside Juyeon's hotel room. Had he liked my work after all?

... Basically, we've seen your photos on Crescent fan page, and we think they are fabulous. When it comes to capturing the boyz' spirit, it seems like you have a magic touch!

And with that in mind, we'd like to use a few photos in the book. There are some wonderful shots: Juyeon dancing with a fan, Hyunjun playing with the candies, Younghoon reading a certain book in the middle of the chaos! Various ones too- detailed in the attached document...

I thought back to late October, and the way I'd felt when I first replied to Hyunjae. How I didn't think I was good enough, how I was just a kid, how I couldn't understand why they'd want me instead of a professional.

But now, reading this email, it was obvious why they needed my pictures. The shots Yeseul mentioned, those fleeting moments between the boyz... No one else saw them happen.

Not the way I did. A professional photographer might have had better equipment than me, more experienced, but they wouldn't have seen the group like I did, for who they were.

Five ordinary teenage boys, who happened to be living extraordinary lives.

... There'll be a small fee in it for you, and your name will appear in the credits. We'll just need a parental signature etc.

So do drop me a line and we'll take things from there.
Thanks! PD.

I listened for my father downstairs, typing in his study. I'd need to fake his signature, but it wouldn't exactly be the first time. So I wrote a speedy reply z accepting her offer.

Then as I was about to sign off, I hesitated above the keys, questions creeping into my mind. Was this a bad idea?

Should I just ignore the email, pretend I'd never seen it? Wasn't I trying to forget this whole thing and move on with my life?

No, I'd earned this. I had given everything to this. Above all else, my time with Crescent wasn't really about Juyeon.
It was about me.

Breathing deeply, I signed my name at the end of the message and hit send.

***

A week later, I was walking back from school alone after saying bye to Haknyeon who seemed urgent and excited.

It had been snowing all day, the kind that dusts the street and the trees like icing sugar, and the air had a crystalline quality like it might shatter if you touched it.

"Yoona." A voice I hadn't heard for weeks scuttled up my spine. I kept walking.
"Hey, Yoona. Slow down."

Mina emerged from an alleyway and fell into step with me. My heart began to this as I tried to outpace her, fractured memories from the schoolyard shooting through my head.