𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘

Start from the beginning

"Well, considering the crowd, I think you'll be more motivated to find a solution. After all, I can easily out-wait our brother's antics. You, on the other hand, might find yourself looking rather appetizing to some of our fellow prisoners."

Kol, realizing he's now a human witch amongst a large group of trapped vampires, becomes panicked and reconsiders his initial response.

"...I'm gonna need some help."

Klaus smiles fakely. "Mmm."

Downstairs, Marcel and Gia have stepped into the dining room in order to talk privately.

"Josh and Aiden are gonna check doors, windows, and any other entrance. Maybe he missed something."

The vampires and werewolves are mingling in the courtyard, having drinks and trying to enjoy themselves despite the fact that they're trapped together in the compound.

Gia wanders around the room with a bottle of bourbon, filling up people's glasses. Above them on the balcony, Hayley is watching everyone. After a moment, Klaus joins her.

She smiles weakly at him before turning her attention back to the crowd, but Klaus, sensing something different about her, looks at her curiously.

"Worried about your wolves?" Hayley just looks at him blankly.

"Or, perhaps the source of your anxiety is a little further from home? How is Elijah, by the way? I'm sure he found your visit most curative."

Hayley, embarrassed. "Ew! No."

Klaus continues to look at her, a smirk on his face, and she eventually caves.

"That obvious, huh?" She clears her throat awkwardly, and Klaus laughs.

"Well, you both had a certain glow about you all morning. Frankly, I'm glad the two of you dropped your pretenses and, uh, shall we say... let the spirit move you?"

He starts laughing even harder, and Hayley cuts him off, shoving him playfully before starting to laugh with him.

"Okay! Okay, okay, okay, stop! Enough! This family is weird enough already."

Klaus notices her face suddenly grow serious as she watches Jackson down below, who has grabbed his own bottle of whiskey and has settled himself into a chair next to some fellow werewolves.

Klaus speaks quietly. "You're feeling guilty, aren't you? Wondering if you should tell your betrothed things he doesn't need to know. From all the poems written on the subject of unrequited love, there are so few on the pain of being the object of that affection. The truth is, Hayley, it's not love on which the strongest foundations are built. It's the decency of merciful lies."

Elizabeth has just arrived to the compound, and she stops short of the entrance to the courtyard, knowing that she'll be trapped if she goes any farther. When she reaches out to touch the barrier, Kol rushes out and stops her before she can get burned.

"Careful, careful! It's nasty." He looks at Elizabeth and smiles.

"Pretty girl to the rescue, eh?" Elizabeth grins at him. "You ready?"

Elizabeth nods, and the two hold out their hands so that they're nearly touching, with only the magical barrier separating them.

Once they're settled, they start to murmur an incantation under their breath. As they chant, Marcel pushes his way through the crowd to watch them work.

Elizabeth and Kol chant simultaneously. "Singuinata venet a superem. Singuinata venet a superem."

After a moment, Kol and Elizabeth are both forcefully thrown backwards away from the barrier.