Chapter 34 || Lagos

Start from the beginning

"There's an ATM on the south corner, which means?"

I respond now to Steve, pretending to be talking to Wanda as I do so, "cameras."

"Both cross streets are one-way," he leads again, leavin Wanda to finish, "so compromised escape routes."

We both look down at the newspapers now, seeing Rumlow in his Crossbones mask plastered on the front page.

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out."

I breathe out a sigh before taking a sip from my coffee, "so much for being discrete."

Wanda smiles smally before Steve speaks up again, "You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?"

Wanda steals a peek, "The red one? It's cute."

Her accent sounds so attractive right now, have we established that yet?

"It's also bullet proof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody, probably us."

I snap my eyes to Nat, warning her to drop the attitude with Wanda. I can feel the tension from here seeping out of her pours. I go to speak but Wanda beats me to it.

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?"

My face lights up at that, wanting to laugh but I keep it suppressed for now. Especially since Natasha's response is anything but impressed.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature."

Her eyes are trained on me, eyebrow raised in a bounce back manner, but I don't stand for it. I smirk and look back at the newspaper.

"Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" I quirk an eyebrow up now after I say that and notice Nat smiling as she looks down at her own paper.

"Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?"

I chuckle until I feel Wanda kick my leg, making me wince and look up at her with confusion. She just narrows her gaze and sips her coffee, eyes still resting on me, making me grow more uncomfortable the longer she looks at me like that. It's her intimidation tactic, and in all true honesty? It works. Consider me intimidated.

"Eyes on target folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in a while, I don't wanna lose him."

I can hear Sam in comms laugh at Steve, "If he sees us coming, that won't be a problem. He kind of hates us."

We hear honking outside, and Steve tells Sam to tag a garbage truck. He uses Redwing's X-Ray view and notifies that the driver's armed and it's at max weight.

"It's a battering ram," Nat and I both say in unison.

Wanda picks up on the sudden change of pace as Steve mutters, "go now."