prologue

The streets of Tokyo were bustling with citizens here and there, people talking on phones and laughing with others. Because of the incoming summer festival season, lots of store owners were shouting about sales for shoes and kimonos, making you pause every once in a while to look. Next to you was Mikey, and the two of you walked in comfortable silence.

Finally, you decided to talk.

"Sano," you hummed. "You fought with Ken again, didn't you?" It wasn't a question but more of a statement, and Mikey knew that. As usual, he stared blankly ahead, not showing his bitter feelings on his face.

"...Yeah," he eventually answered, pouting childishly to downplay the mood. You nodded in acknowledgment before stopping in front of a store window to admire a stuffed animal. It was a tiger, and it reminded you of Mikey. Next to that tiger was a dragon.

'Drakon,' you thought with a little smile.

You've known those two even before Touman was created. The three of you did everything together, and they meant so much to you. You would do anything to help them achieve their goals, not just because you were friends, but because you also respected them and their ideals.

Mikey, noticing that you stopped walking, turned around and watched you looking around. His eyes wandered along your body--your school uniform skirt, the loose blouse, your small hands, your understanding eyes, your soft hair--before lingering on your lips.

He looked away to stop himself from getting any thoughts.

Finally turning back to Mikey, you remarked, "Ken was just worried about you."

"I don't need to be babysat by him," the boy muttered, remembering how his vice president got mad at him for engaging in a fight that included a knife. The two weren't on talking terms at the moment because of that.

"He wasn't worried because he thinks of you as a baby," you sighed. "Ken knows more than anyone how well you can take care of yourself. He was worried because you're his friend. What's wrong with worrying about someone you care about?"

It was an obvious statement that Mikey already knew, but, somehow, you saying this was enough for him to feel warmth in his heart. How strange was it that you never failed to do this?

"...I guess so," he grinned. "Thanks. You always bring me and Ken back together."

"I didn't do anything," you smiled back. "I love you guys. That's all. Make sure to apologize to him, okay?"

Mikey opened his mouth to respond, but he closed it soon after. The words "I love you" lingered on the tip of his tongue, tugging on his heart to confess those three simple words; alas, he couldn't get himself to say it. He was afraid.

He, the renowned Sano Manjiro, a boy who wasn't scared of any fights or threats, was scared of saying something that would cause him to lose you. The risk was too great. To him, you being next to him was enough. If that meant you would never see him as more than a childhood friend, he didn't care.

With this in mind, he waited for you to walk back to his side with your calming demeanor. He loved your presence.

And he loved you.

So, he would do anything to protect you.

Even if that meant death.

"Till death do us apart," he murmured, unaware that you heard him. It was a phrase that took you two back to when you first met, and although it was silly, it became your vows.

A small smile formed on your face as you averted your attention to the store windows.

"Till death do us apart," you whispered back.

╞═════𖠁✟𖠁═════╡

a/n: I'm getting a bit back into Tokyo Manji Revengers so I'll be updating this a bit too. We'll see how long this lasts haha