the struggles of parenting

(this wasn't requested, but i had an idea pop into my head. warning, this is actually so cringy so skip ahead if you don't want to read it, i just thought i'd try something out.)

you rocked back and forth, your newborn baby in your arms. you've been trying to get her to sleep for hours. daniel had been gone at the studio, so you felt bad calling him. so you didn't. 

the baby was crying her eyes out, while you shushed her softly. this wasn't doing anything. "please go to sleep." you said, tears brimming your eyes. when her screaming got louder, you just full on started crying.

it's been like this for weeks. you've gotten no sleep, and neither has daniel. he's been just as invested as you have, but what can you say? he has an important job. 

"please stop crying." you said, crying even harder. you wiped your eyes. 

you just patted her back softly to soothe her, but it didn't help. "it's okay, it's okay baby." you whispered, still crying. she yanked at your hair, clawed at your clothes, threw up on you, spilt food all over you, sneezed in your face, all in the time span of four hours. 

when the front door opened, your heart skipped a beat. "love?" daniel asked, opening the door. one exhausted, frustrated look, mixed with your tear stained face was enough to get him rushing over. "she won't stop crying." you said, as the screaming from the baby got louder. "i'm so tired, i haven't slept in four days." you said, still crying. daniel softly took her from your arms and laid her on his chest. "you go take a nice bath, while i get her ready for bed, okay?" he said, kissing your head. you nodded. 

on a side note, you looked awful. your hair was in a messy bun, a sweater that was way too big for you, and you had the biggest dark circles underneath your eyes. knowing daniel though, he probably still thought you were the most beautiful girl in the world. he loved his girls more than anything. 

you got into the shower, the warm water immediately soothing you as your hair got wet. you stayed in there for about ten minutes, and got out. you wrapped the towel around your body and stepped out, walking into the bedroom. you walked in seeing daniel, softly humming to your baby, while she was in the crib. his arm was in there, stroking her cheek. 

she was no longer crying. you sighed. he looked over at you. "you okay now, baby?" you nodded. "how did you get her to sleep so fast?" you ask, beginning to get dressed. "it's easy when you can sing." he winked at you. "jerk." you said, jokingly. you couldn't sing for the life of you. and he knew it. 

once you got dressed, you came over and sat down next to him, right by the crib. "why didn't you call me?" he asked, stroking your hair. "you were at the studio, i didn't want to ruin your time for songwrit-"

"you could never, y/n. i'm your husband. and guess what? she's not just your kid, she's my kid too. you don't have to feel obligated to take care of her on your own." he said. his voice was low, and soft. it could put anyone to sleep. 

"i know." you said, not looking at him. "hey." he said, putting his finger under your chin, and softly turning your head his way. then he softly kissed you, and slowly pulled away. "you're never alone y/n. you have so many people that are here to support you in anything." you didn't really know where that came from but you went along with it. "like jack, corbyn, jonah, zach, my family, my friends. me." he said. "you have me." he whispered. 

you pressed your lips to his, a long, loving kiss. you pulled away. "you have me too, lovie. through anything. we're in this together." you said. he smiled, and pecked your lips again, and again and again, until he was kissing you all over your face. you laughed, and he got on top of you, and tackled you in kisses. this was definitely the highlight of your entire day. "daniel stop, you're gonna wake the baby up." you said. "i can't help it, you look so pretty all the time." you raised an eyebrow at him. "i'm a mess, daniel." he quietly laughed, and sat back up. you two stood up, and got ready for bed. 

as you two walked into the pitch black room, daniel tripped over the laundry basket. you two stifled giggles like children and you crawled into bed. daniel swiftly wrapped his arms around you and kissed your nose, and you caught a whiff of his minty breath. "your breath smells good." you said. he laughed. "weirdo." he said, before quickly placing a sloppy kiss on your lips. 

"goodnight, lovie."

"goodnight, love."