XXV : The Broken Treaty

Start from the beginning

"Bella? Are you still there?"

"Alice, I'm sorry I keep calling. I just...Is Edward with you?"

"No, he's not. Bella, I've been waiting for you to wake up to call--"

"What happened?" Bella asked quickly, feeling herself holding her breath once more. "Victoria, did she--?"

"You don't need to worry about Victoria. But we did have a little run in with the wolves while we pursued her. We have to renegotiate the treaty, we promised to stay in our house while the Quileaute leaders decide what to do."

Bella felt as though ice water had been poured on her. She tried to pull herself together, but her eyes were swimming in moisture. She could see it behind her lids — She could see Victoria's face, her lips pulled back over her teeth, her crimson eyes glowing with the obsession of her vendetta; she held Edward responsible for the demise of her love, James. She wouldn't stop until his love was taken from him, too.

"What happened? Can I speak to Edward? Is anyone hurt?"

"No one is hurt Bella, please trust me. I can call you as soon as the Quilieaute leaders make a decision."

"And Edward? I tried to call his phone but it goes directly to voicemail."

Bella heard Alice hesitate, as she felt her eyes now overflowing with moisture.

"I just need you to know he's safe" Alice said slowly. "We're hoping he can come back soon."

"What do you mean, 'come back soon?'" Bella demanded, her voice raising a pitch higher as she tried to keep it steady.

"I can't say much" Alice pleaded. "But please know, as soon as the Treaty is official again, Edward will come back."

Bella felt her mouth go dry, "But, why?"

"I just need you to trust me, can you do that Bella?"

"Let me come over, I can ditch school and you can explain to me--"

"Bella, you're not listening to me. Edward is safe. The wolves promised to look over you while we wait out their decision. This is between us, I can't tell you any details until it's official. I just need you to trust me. We're safe, no one was harmed. We just need to wait for this afternoon for the Quileaute Elders to regroup."

"What if they decide you can't stay?" Bella asked in a flat voice, feeling empty as she realized there was a possibility she would have to leave a lot sooner than she expected. Graduation was just weeks away! Couldn't the Quileaute's wait?

"We wouldn't agree to that, and they know that. We want peace too, it was just a misunderstanding. Carlisle is sure we will be able to negotiate in a fair way. This is just a technicality."

"What exactly happened?"

"As soon as we come to an agreement, I can call you with all of the details."

Bella felt herself hyperventilating at the thought of having to wait so many hours to know what was going on. The panic resumed itself as she felt herself gasping for air once more. Of course Alice had said it with such ease, she was immortal. What was a few hours to someone who lived forever? But for Bella? It was eternity.

"Bella? Please breathe. Edward will break the new treaty if he hears something happened to you and he wasn't there."

Bella continued to hyperventilate, her mind going into overdrive as she tried to steady herself with Alice's voice. There was something in the jumbled words that Bella could comprehend...Edward? Yes...His perfect and god-like, beautiful face came to her head and distracted her, calming her breathing.