"(Y/n)?"

She turned around from the bottom step to see Fred sitting in front of the fireplace. He was wrapped in a Gryffindor blanket. His hair was messy as if he ran his hands through it a million times, and his eyes were swollen. Resembling the emptiness in her own pupils.

"No," she whispered, barely audible but he had heard it.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I am a complete insecure git. I'm sorry."

(Y/n) bit the inside of her lip as she watched him, but she just shook her head. "Fred, I've let a lot of things pass. The jealously with Cedric, the jealously with Wren- which I had thought went away when you found out he was gay and let's not forget the time you brought Hazel around to somehow get back at me. I've let a lot of things slide when I knew I shouldn't of."

"Please. Don't," Fred pleaded, looking at her with so much desperation that it broke her heart.

"I think we need some space. To clear out our heads, you know."

Fred took a step forward, and (y/n) instantly responded- taking a step away from him. "I've loved you since I first saw you on the train back in our first year. This feeling I have for you isn't going to go away."

"I know," (Y/n) said- taking a deep breath. "I know Freddie, but you make it hard to love you when you keep breaking me."

"(Y/n), I never. I didn't think. I-"

"That's the problem Fred, you don't think! I love you, and that's not going to change. You're my best friend, but I just think space would be good for us right now."

"For how long?"

"For a while. Until I can look at you and no longer see the boy who broke my heart. The boy who didn't trust me. That's when," she said turning her back away from him and walking out of the common room. Once she got past the portrait she ran down the stairs turning down an empty hallway and crashing on the floor.

She sobbed in her jacket as she felt all her emotions burst at the surface- clutching her stomach to make the pain stop.

She never knew that loving someone could be so wonderful and yet terrifying at the same time. It wasn't that she didn't want to be with Fred because she did. Every ounce of her broken heart screaming to jump in his arms. But her head was smarter, and her head knew that her heart had been broken one two many times.

If only the times had changed, and he could realize his mistake. Maybe then she would see the same ones she had made. She knew this wasn't just his fault because she had insecurities too. But she knew that they only way for them to fix whatever was left was for both of them to fix themselves.

***

A few weeks had passed and (y/n) sat next to Hermione and Wren as they waited for the Triwizard tournament names to be announced. She found out that Angelina had dropped in her name and as much as she wished the safety of her best friend she was proud of her in all the same.

She was finally starting to feel like herself. Though her and Fred, had decided to call a quits on their relationship she was still cordial with him. She didn't want it to be awkward with her friends and end up getting locked into a closet like she had done for Angelina and George.

However, this meant that she actually spent a lot of her time with Wren, Angelina, and the Golden Trio.

"I wonder who's going to get picked from the cup," Ron said excitedly. "My money is on a Gryffindor."

"I think that just leaves Angelina for getting pick. No other Gryffindor put their name in, right?" (Y/n) asked looking over at the cup.

"Well unless you count Fred and George who was stupid enough to put their name in, but that backfired quickly. You should have seen it! It was so funny when the spell backfired, and they grew beards."