Chapter 28

Jin Zixuan was anxiously standing next to Nie Huisang in front of the Jingshi, hoping he would be invited inside. He knew he had hurt Wei Wuxian with his indecisiveness and cowardice, that much was clear to him after talking with the Qinghe Nie disciple just minutes ago. He was still angry at the other for first appearing as if he wanted to finally tell him everything, only to back down at the last moment, telling him he would take him to see Wei Wuxian and that he should observe the Gusu Lan sect disciple closely and discover the truth himself.

"Why is Nie Huisang being so secretive about Wei Wuxian? I already know about his illness, although not about which kind it is nor how serious, he could have just told me everything and be done with it... Does he perhaps want to take revenge on me for all those times I did not fully acknowledged him? But he is such a slimy person, never saying outright what he thinks and always hiding in the shadows, listening.

Or is this exactly why he decided to not tell me anything and to let me discover or ask on my own? Because he had actually not been told but overheard somewhere? Does he not want me to reveal him in front of the Lans?

Anyway, I can think about this afterwards, I am anxious to see Wei Wuxian. After how mysterious Nie Huisang was trying to appear, I am really curious what exactly is wrong with him. Now I am actually grateful to Nie Huisang for taking me here, it seems like he knows Wei Wuxian very well so there are high chances I would indeed be invited inside..."

Jin Zixuan's hope was getting smaller and smaller with his every heartbeat: "But what if Wei Wuxian will not want to see me anymore? What if I have waited for too long and it will be too late now? What will I do in this case?"

His worries were however short lived as the door to the Jingshi opened and Lan Wangji was inviting him and Nie Huisang inside, glaring coldly at him as always. Jin Zixuan steeled himself and straightened his spine, he would not let himself be intimidated this time as well. He was already so close to seeing Wei Wuxian again that he did not want his chance to be wasted because he would be bothered by the Second Jade staring at him.

He could not help himself feeling somewhat disappointed that it had not been Wei Wuxian who had opened the door. But it was alright because Lan Wangji was already showing them to enter one of the rooms, the one in which Wei Wuxian had been resting a few days prior. Only now did Jin Zixuan realize that it must have been actually his room.

For an unknown reason, he could feel warmth rising onto his cheeks and he lowered his eyes, embarrassed by the fact that he was probably blushing right now. He did not know where this reaction was coming from, and he did not want to think about it. He only took a deep breath, calming himself down and willing the redness on his cheeks to go away.

His head shot up when he entered the room, he did not want to seem weak in front of Wei Wuxian. His heart skipped a beat when he saw the said disciple sitting at a low table, looking up at him and smiling. He could not believe his luck; it seemed like Wei Wuxian was not angry at him after all but instead looking forward to their meeting just as he was.

He stood awkwardly in the door when Nie Huisang and Lan Wangji went to join Wei Wuxian. He waited for any sigh that he should join them, but when none came, he decided to take the initiative. He did not want to look arrogant or disrespectful so he greeted the room's owner: "Wei Wuxian, good to see you again."

The Gusu Lan sect disciple's smile became even broader as he nodded and gestured to him to come sit down. Jin Zixuan gladly accepted his invitation.

After sitting down – once again, there was no tea on the table, only a stack of papers with some scribbles on them and writing utensils which arose Jin Zixuan's curiosity to no end – silence fell upon the room. Jin Zixuan did not know how he should start and what he should talk with Wei Wuxian about; in the presence of Nie Huisang and Lan Wangji, no less! And the other did not seem like he was about to start the conversation either.

Jin Zixuan glanced at Nie Huisang, silently begging for help. He saw how the Qinghe Nie disciple visibly sighed but heeded to his request. He started chatting excitedly, telling Wei Wuxian a story about how the Yunmeng Jiang sect heir invited him to hunt pheasants.

The Lanling Jin sect heir stopped listening after the first few words, his eyes glued to the apparently attentively listening Gusu Lan sect disciple in front of him. As always when he saw Wei Wuxian up close, he had a feeling he could not hide his interest, almost unnatural in how strong it was, in the other. There was just something about Wei Wuxian which was making him very unsettled and captivated his full attention.

It had already been more than half an hour into the meeting when Lan Wangji stood up claiming to go find some refreshments, effectively attracting his attention away from Wei Wuxian in the process. Only then did Jin Zixuan realized he had only been staring at the Gusu Lan sect disciple the whole time, observing his every minute change of expression and movement with fascination.

There was however something profoundly wrong with the way Wei Wuxian was acting. It took Jin Zixuan another two minutes to finally realize what had been bothering him this much: Wei Wuxian did not say a single word until now. Actually, he had never heard him talk at all. What was wrong? He was sure that the Gusu Lan sect disciple was enjoying the story, nodding his head vehemently and gesturing with his hands frequently. So why was he not talking?

Nie Huisang had asked him in his room, just before they have set out to go to the Jingshi, to pay close attention to Wei Wuxian and to observe him closely. He had said that everything would then be more than clear to him. Remembering the primary reason for his visit, Jin Zixuan started concentrating on taking note of everything, from Wei Wuxian's every move to how he was reacting to the story to looking all around the room they were in.

Oh so slowly, he was realizing just what had not been sitting right with him the first time he had been here. Then he looked at Wei Wuxian more closely and confirmed his suspicion; not only was the Gusu Lan sect disciple not talking, his eyes were closed the whole time. Looking back, it should have probably been clear to him a long while ago, he had actually never seen Wei Wuxian with his eyes open.

Completely baffled by his discovery, he jumped up from his seat, pointing one finger at the Gusu Lan sect disciple in front of him. He was having a hard time believing what just crossed his mind, he wanted to confirm his suspicion immediately, cutting Nie Huisang's narration in the middle of a sentence: "Wei Wuxian, are you actually mute and blind?"

He regretted his impulsiveness the next second. His words came out of his mouth too unrefined and rude. They must have sounded like an accusation for Wei Wuxian flinched away from him and lowered his head, visibly distressed. Nie Huisang's head snapped upwards and he looked at Jin Zixuan with murder in his eyes.

And so did Lan Wangji who chose exactly this moment to come back and must have heard his exclamation. If looks could kill, Jin Zixuan would have been a dead man right there and then.