Butterflies and Moths { Emma Bloom x reader }

TW// mentions of needles 

Your Peculiarity: Cryokinesis, meaning you can make and manipulate ice. Like Althea from Hollow City, but on a much smaller scale. A major side effect of your peculiarity is how cold it makes you, leaving you to wear thick sweaters and layers in the middle of September.
 Time Period: mid to late 1960's outside the loop, inside the loop it's September 3rd 1940.//

𓅃

Y/N liked to knit. 

It had started as a distraction, a coping mechanism, when they were younger and their peculiarity first manifested. When they couldn't figure out why they could never get warm enough and why everything seemed to have a layer of frost on it in the middle of summer. It was a long time ago now, but knitting had remained a constant grounding activity, and they found a strange nostalgia sewn into the scarves and sweaters they made.

They sat on the back porch, letting the gentle breeze sweeping in from the ocean ruffle their hair and focusing on the blue sweater they were working on. The last thing they needed was another sweater, considering their small closet was packed full of every single one they had made over the years, but it was entertaining, and the most familiar pattern they knew. Y/N spent a lot of their time making, borrowing yarn and knitting needles from Horace, despite how much he complained. It's not like they never returned them, but usually by the time they did, the metal was colder than ice.

And so they knit, sitting cross-legged and humming softly to themself, lost in their little world of comfort.

Until someone knocked on the door frame behind them. Y/N looked over their shoulder, smiling when they saw their favorite roommate. Emma Bloom, the girl on fire. The one person who could warm them up from the inside out without even lighting a single flame.

" Hey! We were gonna go down to the beach, do you wanna join us?" Emma asked, leaning against the doorway. Her sandy hair was pulled away from her face, highlighting her brilliant green eyes and kind smile. 

" Who's 'we'?" Y/N asked, setting their current project down in their lap.

" Myself, Enoch, Fiona, and Hugh. I asked Horace, but he's currently fussing over another hat. I don't even know where he got another one." Emma closed the door behind her and joined Y/N on the steps. 

" Last time I went, I froze Enoch's arm. He had frostbite for the longest time." 

" Well, he deserved it, talking to you like that." She shrugged. " Plus, it was kinda funny."

" He was mad at me for months!" Y/N nudged Emmas shoulder, and the girl laughed.

" He's always mad at everyone. Are you coming or not, popsicle?" 

" Yeah, yeah, I'll come. Just..." They gestured to their knitting materials. " Let me ditch this junk in my room first, okay?"

𓅃

Y/N met Emma and the others in the yard, smiling as the group waved them over. Enoch kept his distance, barely hiding his annoyance by their presence. The little shit.

Hugh was holding a heavy looking briefcase, talking excitedly to Fiona as the group started towards the rocky beach. When Y/N asked about it, his face lit up.

" Oh, you're gonna love it." He said, then refused to elaborate. 

Halfway down the path, Emma grabbed their arm and dragged them ahead, leaving the others behind. She was laughing as she ran, and they couldn't help but notice how the light hit her so perfectly. She looked like an angel, a gift from the gods, a reminder from someone far bigger than everything. Emma Bloom was everything good in the world, and Y/N made a silent promise to themself to always protect her. To remember that angelic laughter and her warm hands and the perfectly brilliant way she spoke.