Tragedy on the North - Orange Belt

“We’re here at last!” Stella’s voice seemed to echo around the SUV

“We’re here at last!” Stella’s voice seemed to echo around the SUV. Her hands were jiggling on the steering wheel with excitement cloaking her body.

Isabel and Alf were on the backseat, cheering and admiring the snowy panorama outside. Cold was an understatement in this part of Canada, but the whitely capsulated trees welcomed them warmly. Meanwhile, Randy just woke up from his dreamless sleep.

The car rolled and finally stopped. The lodge Stella rented was nice and small, but something distracted them from the delight.

Something blue was on the ground next to the lodge. Red pooled upon it and stained the white.

“Is that blood?” Isabel asked anxiously.

“Wait here!” Stella jumped off and stomped the snow beneath her boots. She approached the sight slowly and was taken aback by it.

It was a boy.

He was ghastly.

“Jesus Christ! Are you okay?” 

He was all bloody. His blank eyes stared evermore upwards and his skin was pale like paper. Stella kneeled to check on him, but his pulse was nonexistent.

“Is he alright?” Alf screamed from the car. 

Stella turned to answer, but before her mouth could open, the boy lurched free towards her and brought her down. 

Surprised, Stella grabbed the boy and tried to yank him, but he was too strong. His teeth were then planted deep upon her flesh and she shrieked.

“Stella!” Randy yelled.

The boy munched her neck, and soon, she would die. Blood spurt away and the scream thundered in the quiet woods.

Isabel and Alf were too stunned to do anything. But the red-haired teen dated Stella, hence his instinct of heroism kicked in. Randy got off and charged the boy with his iron flashlight. Tears were on his eyes and anger was on his veins. He yelled and snatched the kid away from feasting more of Stella’s body.

“Die you little beast!”

Randy slammed the flashlight towards the boy’s cheek, but it did no damage. The boy growled and countered the attack before lurching quickly towards him. 

They fell to the snow with the boy on top. He snarled and exhibited his bloody teeth to Randy, and with the flashlight, he cut off the boy’s attack from ever biting him.

“Get off me!” And by that, Randy managed to knee the boy off him.

But not for long, because when he’d thought he’d won, the boy rose unnaturally like without pain. 

“Thirsty for more?” Randy hunched his flashlight tight. 

The boy leapt. Randy was ready to assault him, but something grabbed his foot. Behind him, Stella’s throat was exposed under the fractured neck. Her hand was around Randy’s left leg.

It was too late. The boy stroke Randy and together they rolled on the snow. The end for Randy was near, and as the boy bit his right shoulder, he saw his family mourning in the back of his mind.

Randy shrieked, and at last, his life exited him.

Isabel watched the whole thing. She clutched Alf’s palm firmly.

The boy and Stella cocked their heads towards the car. Their eyes were only white and their movements were unearthly.

“Alf!”

Alf jumped to the driver’s seat as Isabel’s scream shrilled around him. He turned the engine and backed the car, but instantly, the boy jumped and smashed the front windshield. The SUV swerved around and upon their return to the road, the glass broke and it shattered everywhere.

Behind them, undead Stella clutched the bumper and climbed the proceeding car. She fisted the rear windshield.

The car drifted left and right. 

The boy tried to get in. 

“Hang on, Isabel!”

Alf jerked the car left and it burst through some fences. The bang came after the car grinded a tree.

And everything went silent.

Alf opened his eyes. Deaf were his ears and blurry were his eyes. He looked around and saw that the airbag had saved his life.

But Isabel was back there, and so was Stella. 

Then he realized. He was the last one to live.

So, desperately, he unstrapped his seatbelt and hurled down. The snow licked his blood. His bones ruptured and battered. His head spun.

The boy was on the ground too. His legs were under the car, but half of his upper body slowly crawled towards Alf.

Panting, Alf seized a piece of glass from the detached and crannied rearview mirror. 

As the boy got closer, Alf saw his chance and nailed the glass to his head. The body of the boy stiffened.

And that was when Alf realized, blood was streaming from his side. A small wound exposed itself at last.

He was bitten by the boy.

And that was the end of their story.

And the four would never return.

For the darkness of nature had devoured upon their flesh.