In Between

This was requested by perfect1y_lonely! I hope you enjoy!

Denver sighed as she flipped the open sign to closed. Work had been so tough that day, and she needed a break. As she began to wash the dishes, she heard a faint knocking on the glass door and she groaned. Can't they see the closed sign? She thought to herself as she dried her hands and made her way to the door.

"Can I help you?" She asked, after unlocking the door and opening it.

"Yes, can I please get something to eat? I'm so sorry I know you're closed but there's nothing else that's nearby and I haven't eaten all day." A mysterious man, probably about her age spoke.

Denver sighed as she nodded, letting him inside and locking the door behind him. As if this day couldn't get any worse.

"Alright, what can I get ya?" She asked as the man took a seat at one of the barstools. He glanced at the menu she handed him, and immediately placed his order.

"I'll do some Mac N Cheese." He felt bad for making the waitress work overtime, so he ordered something simple.

"Coming right up. Can I get you something to drink?" She asked.

The man took off his hat and jacket, allowing her to see his face for the first time. He was oddly familiar. "Uhh, some water is fine, thanks."

As Denver prepared his glass of water, she scoured her brain, trying to figure out who this strangely familiar man was. She was growing frustrated with every second. It wasn't until she handed him the full glass, that she recognized him.

"Chester?" She asked, hoping she didn't just embarrass herself.

"Wait, how did you know my name?" He asked, gulping down some water. He was exhausted from his busy touring schedule. The band had a week here, so they all went their own ways to explore. He hoped the waitress wasn't a crazed fan.

"You were my best friend in high school, well, before you joined Grey Daze and dropped out." Denver admitted.

"Wait... Denver?" He looked up at the waitress in shock.

"Hi." She awkwardly waved to her old best friend.

"Wow, I-I didn't expect to find you way out in the middle of nowhere." He said.

"Well, this is actually my hometown. Y'know, sweet home Arizona, am I right?" She smiled at her friend as she heated up a pot of water and set it on the stove to boil.

"Yeah, wow. I forgot that you lived all the way out here, this part of Arizona is so... bare." Chester took another sip of his water as Denver poured some pasta into the pot.

"So what are you doing out in the middle of bare... land? I'd never expect to see some famous rockstar out here." Denver teased.

"Oh, you know about my band?" Chester asked, mentally slapping himself. Everyone knew his band.

"Duh, who doesn't? It's one of the biggest bands out there right now, isn't it? I think I heard one of your songs playing in here this afternoon." Denver stirred the pasta around in the pot, making sure it was evenly cooked.

"That's... great." Chester sighed.

Denver leaned across the counter from Chester. "What, you don't like that? Isn't that like some sort of milestone, hearing your music in some lame ol' restaurant?" Denver winked.

"Yeah, I guess it is, it's just still strange to me, hearing my voice everywhere I go. I'm proud of it, but I haven't gotten used to it yet." Chester admitted.

"Oh, well you'll get used to it eventually. So how are you? I haven't talked to you since... a long time." Denver couldn't remember the last time she spoke to Chester, just that it was over five years ago.

"I've been good, I'm actually on tour, but I'm here for a week or so, so I decided to explore, Everyone else is doing their own thing." Chester explained. "How are you?"

"I've been better, but I'm really glad to see you again! It's been so long." Denver smiled, turning back to the pot of pasta and stirring the noodles. "These are almost done."

"Thanks, Denver. Sorry for keeping you open late." Chester smiled as he watched his friend stir the noodles, then take a strainer to drain the water.

"Oh, it's no problem! Seriously, don't worry at all." Denver stirred the ingredients into the noodles as the homemade cheese recipe melted overtop the noodles, filling the air with a delicious aroma. "Here, you eat up while I finish these dishes real quick." Denver spooned the pasta onto a plate and handed it to Chester, who looked extremely grateful as he took a bite of the steaming pasta, moaning in delight.

"Whoa, what did you use to make this? it's so good!" He asked, immediately putting another spoonful into his mouth.

"That's a secret." Denver winked.

"Thank you so much." Chester handed Denver the now empty plate and she stuck it into the sink, quickly washing it. He handed her a $20, but she immediately gave it back.

"No need, it's on the house. Thank you for coming in, it was really nice to talk to you again." Denver said with a sad smile. She didn't know when she would talk to him again, if ever.

"You too, do you have a napkin?" Chester asked.

Denver looked at him oddly, before handing him a napkin. He pulled a pen from his pocket and wrote something on it. "Here, it's my number. Call me one of these days and we can hang out, maybe I'll even introduce you to my bandmates." Chester grinned, handing her the napkin.

"Thanks, I'd like that."