Chapter Twenty Eight - The Sign

Hero

But even if that day should never come, know that I will always love you...

As Hero approached north wing, a most remarkable sound slowed his long, impatient strides. He pressed his ear to the door of  Josephine’s suite, beginning to wonder if lack of sleep wasn't scrambling his senses. But no, there it was again.

Mercy was giggling. His bitter cousin, whose smile was as rare and precious as a rose blooming in winter, was actually giggling. Then came an even more shocking sound—the low, husky murmur of a man’s voice.

Hero was too stunned to think. He simply lifted his foot and kicked open the door.

Mercy sprang up in the bed and snatched the sheet to her breasts, her blonde hair tumbling loosely around her pale shoulders. “How remiss of me," she said with acid politeness. "I must not have heard you knock."

Next to her in the bed, a wild-eyed Felix appeared to be torn between ducking beneath the blankets or making a leap for the window. “Are you armed?"

“Not at the moment," Hero bit off. "Although I can ring for Cedric to bring me my gun if you feel it’s necessary."

Felix raised a placating hand. “Let’s not be so hasty, FT. There’s no need to call me out. I can assure you that my intentions toward your cousin are entirely honourable.”

Hero took in the garments scattered all over the floor, the rumpled clothes, the telltale flush on his cousin’s cheeks. “Yes, I can certainly see that."

“I've been trying to talk him into eloping to Gretna Green," Mercy admitted, settling back on the pillows with a feline smile.

“And I won't hear of it!" Felix was so outraged, he seemed to forget all about Hero. “After all the years you’ve made me wait, you owe me a proper wedding. I want every gossip and scandalmonger in London to see what a beautiful bride you make.”

“But I don’t think I can wait another day to become your wife.”

As the two of them rubbed noses, all but cooing at one another, Hero rolled his eyes. “Jo’s gone. She’s left me."

Felix and Mercy exchanged a knowing look.

“I can hardly blame her," Mercy said.

Felix shrugged. “It was only a matter of time, wasn’t it?”

Exasperated by their lack of alarm, he added, “She's carrying my child."

Mercy tilted her head to the side. “Is that why you want her back?"

“No,” Hero snapped, his heart too full to manage anything else.

Mercy waved her hands at him. “Then why are you wasting time talking to us? Go after her! Go!"

Hero winked at his cousin before turning a threatening glower on his best friend. “I suggest the two of you elope, Felix. Because if you’re not married by the time I get back, I’m afraid I’ll be forced to shoot you.”

As he dragged the door shut on its loose hinges, the last thing he saw was Mercy’s triumphant smile.

*****

Hero Fiennes Tiffin was going home.

The hedgerows and fences flew past, their glossy leaves and weathered stones gilded by the light of the setting sun. The blue sky was slowly melting into shades of pink and gold, edged with a deepening ribbon of purple.