chapter 2: who's nott?

Start from the beginning

The rest of their walk to the Slytherin section of the train was quiet as Lorelei hoped she wouldn't annoy this cool girl she had just met, and Briar simply hadn't a clue of what to say. Soon though, they were about to pass the compartment with Theo in it, so Briar loosely pointed to it. "That's the compartment you want. I'm a couple doors down yet, so come find me if you need more help, but I'm more likely to be in the bathroom for the remainder of the trip... I hope to avoid the discussion of soulmates in my compartment."

"Soulmates?" Lorelei echoed with a perplexed expression. Her feet came to a halt in the hallway with this comment. Certainly, she had heard about soulmates in the cheesy Hallmark movies she would watch with her Gran at Christmas time, but she had never heard of anyone discussing soulmates before.

"Are you a Muggle-born?" Briar had always known about soulmates, for her pureblood parents had taught her about it when she was younger, even if Briar couldn't care less about the entire soulmate situation now. She couldn't imagine the shock it must bring to the Muggle-borns who would learn of it the first time at Hogwarts. Briar's suspicions were proven to be true when Lorelei softly nodded her head in confirmation.

"Were you at breakfast before the first day of classes last year? Dumbledore would have talked about it then," Briar inquired with a serious gaze locked on Lorelei.

A couple other Slytherin students passed them, so Lorelei just shook her head. Lorelei remembered her first day last year. She had been incredibly sick the night before, and she actually missed the first half of her classes the next day because she spent her morning in the hospital wing. Luckily, Madam Pomfrey got her healed up and rested fairly quickly, so Lorelei was able to attend her classes in the afternoon.

This explanation was vaguely explained to Briar, who then nodded and said, "Well, I'm not the best at explaining it, but Dumbledore will be discussing it more tomorrow morning... Essentially, we all have a soulmate, and that's supposedly your person or something."

"Oh." Lorelei stood stiffly beside Briar and tried to wrap her mind around this. Sure, she may have gone to a magical school and practiced magic regularly, but the thought of soulmates being real had never even crossed her mind.

"I'm sorry I can't explain more, but I genuinely despise the idea of having a soulmate... I'm going to run off now. It's that compartment there, alright?" Briar waited until Lorelei nodded at her, and then she moved past the boys' compartment, unaware that the door slid open just moments later.

Lorelei stood a few paces away from that compartment for a moment, trying to process what Briar said. She had a soulmate? How had no one told her this before? Not even her roommates had mentioned such a thing to her before...unless they did, and she just didn't realize they were serious.

After a few seconds of serious thought, Lorelei pushed forward. She had to finish the task she had set out to do. She could worry about this soulmate ordeal later.

When Lorelei reached the compartment that Briar had pointed to earlier, she realized that the door was completely slid open, so she didn't have any time to mentally prepare herself to walk into a compartment full of third year Slytherin boys. Soon, all eyes were on her when she nearly crashed into a boy with a darker complexion. She believed his name was Blaise, but she wasn't certain.

With her throat feeling suddenly extra dry, Lorelei tried to ignore the fact that four sets of eyes were now staring at her. Instead, she just lifted the wand and asked, "Does this belong to any of you? I found it on the floor of the train."

A brown-haired boy with curly hair rose from his seat immediately and took it from her with a mumbled thanks. His cheeks were flushed, and his eye contact was fleeting, but Lorelei didn't miss his quiet appreciation. She softly smiled when she saw how relieved he looked.

Lorelei waited a couple beats too long to walk away. She had expected more words to be said or questions asked about where the wand was, but instead, the compartment's other three occupants just stared at her until she backed away from the door with embarrassment creeping up her being.

However, now that her distraction was gone, Lorelei was once again burdened with the task of finding a seat, except now she had to wonder about this soulmate business as well.

Unbeknownst to Lorelei, when she was walking away from the compartment of boys, eyes were following her every move as if they were flies drawn to a light or ships drifting off path to hear the call of the siren.

//