1 | Lucky and Alive

Start from the beginning

   "Crap," I groaned once I twisted the lid, only to get it on my fingertips accidentally. "Why does this keep on happening?"

   Although the question was rhetorical, that didn't stop Adrianna from remarking with laughter, "Because you have chubby fingers."

   I threw her a glare over my shoulder. "Thanks, friend."

   "Don't be a pussy!" She shouted as I stomped outside her room, still laughing as I made my way to the bathroom in the hall.

   The door was wide open with the lights off, so I strutted inside, only to gasp loudly when I saw a body on its knees in front of me.

   A head shot up, wide eyed. When I saw their eyes, I exhaled loudly. "Jeez, Jared!" I hissed, turning on the switch next to me.

   Light filled the windowless room, and after a few seconds passed from my eyes adjusting to the brightness, I noticed the cupboard under the sink open, with him in front of it.

   Instead of looking ashamed, he smirked before slowly standing up.

   I unintentionally swallowed when he began to tower over me. "Hey, Lucky," he drawled, humour evident in his tone as his gaze dropped to my hands. "What's up with that?"

   "Why? You wanna touch it?" I quirked a brow and lifted my sticky hands.

   He didn't step away, but his head reclined back an inch. "There's more interesting things I'd like to touch," he teased, cocking his head and stepping froward, watching me. "Your hair got longer."

   I almost reached out and touched it, but stopped when I remembered my predicament.

   He noticed and didn't hide his amused smile as I glared. "If my hair gets ruined, you know I'm messing up yours, right?"

   His head bent down, getting closer to mine. "How you gonna mess it up, Lucky?" He muttered, eyes dropping to my outfit—which was an oversized tee-shirt that swallowed my body whole. "Pull it?"

   For some reason, my chest felt heavy. But I tried to slow my breathing as I lifted up my stick hands, smiling innocently. "How about glue it? I can give you a permanent Mohawk."

   He pushed his head back and glared while I wiggled my eyebrows and fingers simultaneously. "Tempting. I'll do it if you do it."

   I tsked and moved in front of the sink. He took a step back and watched me as I did so. "Not how it works, Jay. But I got a bunch of glue waiting for you, if you change your mind."

    He didn't reply, so I finished washing my hands before quickly drying it with the towel hanging on the left side of the mirror.

   I glanced at my reflection but felt my cheeks heating up when I saw Jared still keeping his eyes on me. "What are you looking for anyways?" I asked, taking a step back, closer to the door before glimpsing at the cabinet.

   He peered to the mirror and pursed his lips. "A lighter. I can't find mine."

    My heart jumped at the thoughts of him wanting a lighter for the candle I gave him, a few days ago. But I quickly shot that hope down, because it was unlikely. He probably just wanted to smoke or something.

   "Adrianna has one." I pointed my thumb over my shoulder. "Ask her though. I don't want to give her another reason to get pissed off."

   He grinned at that. "It's easy to piss her off."

    "Same goes for you," I reminded him playfully, leaning against the door frame to arch my back.

   For a moment, I swear his eyes slightly darkened before he stepped toward me. My chest expanded when he got closer, until we were almost touching.