"Why?" asked Marlene.

"I can't write in a book. It's- it's wrong. My d-dad- and Remus doesn't really deserve it, does he? I mean-"

"Oh, move over," Marlene interrupted, snatching the quill from Artemis's hand. The rest of the girls watched in wonder and horror as she bent over one of the books and started scribbling different words, pausing every once in awhile to tap the end of the quill against her chin, deep in thought.

Long minutes passed as Marlene moved from book to book, very noticeably defacing each one in a careful way that would be sure to get Remus in trouble. Then she stood up straight again. "That should do it," she said, sounding satisfied. "Now let's get out of here."

The next morning, Peter wasn't at breakfast. "Phase one worked, I s'ppose," Lily murmured in Marlene's ear, and both girls burst into giggles.

"What're you two laughing at?" James asked, but the girls pretended not to hear him.

Marlene leaned over to Artemis and whispered in her ear, "Initiate phase two."

Artemis gave her a curt nod and stood up, walking a few seats down to settle into a spot right next to Sirius. He gave her a weary look. "What are you doing? I thought you weren't talking to us. It was rather nice, you know."

"Shut up," Artemis snapped, and then remembered that she was supposed to be nice for phase two. "There's something important I need to tell you."

Sirius looked at her with impatience etched all over his face. "Fine. What is it?" Artemis leaned forward to whisper in his ear. She couldn't help but notice that he smelled nice, like expensive soap and laundry detergent. There weren't many things she could appreciate about Sirius Black, but at least he wasn't as gross as most of the boys in her year. "Get on with it, Art, I told James I would go down and watch quidditch practice with him."

"Right- speaking of James," Artemis said in a sly voice, "I was talking to him earlier."

"I thought you weren't speaking to any of us!"

"Yes, well," Artemis said, thinking fast, "James wanted to come to me with a really- ah- pressing problem."

"Why wouldn't he just come to me?" Sirius asked. "Or any of his other real friends?"

Artemis let out an impatient sigh. "Because, Sirius, the problem was that- well- he said he's getting sick of some of his... friends. You know, he doesn't do very well with clingy people, and-"

"If he was talking about Peter, we already solved that problem. We're fine now."

"He wasn't talking about Peter."

"Remus?"

Artemis shook her head. She watched closely as the realization dawned on Sirius's face. "Guess again..."

"Me?" Sirius looked so crestfallen, Artemis felt a pang of guilt in her chest. "He's sick of me?"

Artemis nodded slowly, trying to avoid making eye contact. "He said he doesn't know how to tell you this 'cause you're his best mate and all and he feels bad for you, but he's getting sick of always having to spend every second with you. And he feels like you're hiding something from him-"

"I'm not!" Sirius yelped. "Tell him I'm not, Art."

Artemis shrugged, figuring her work there was done. "Tell him yourself, Black. I'm just the messenger."

In Defense Against the Dark Arts class, while Professor Bones was teaching a lesson on hinkypunks, there was a knock on the door. All four girls perked up when they saw Professor McGonagall, her lips forming a tight frown, followed by Madam Pince. "Hello, Professor," Bones said cheerfully. "What can I do for you?"