Chapter Thirty-Five | Return

Start from the beginning

"James!" Aunt Esme admonished as she walked up to Vivienne and handed her a piece of cloth. "Go on then," she said encouragingly. "The Captain must still be waiting for you in the carriage. Enjoy yourself."

Vivienne gave a nervous smile to his aunt while avoiding his gaze completely. She left and walked to the footpath where James could see Captain Gronow help her into the carriage. His jaw's ticked as he watched them leave a small storm of dust behind. He raised an annoyed eyebrow towards his aunt. "I really did need that carriage."

His aunt turned up her nose, unrelenting as ever. "I'm sure you can find alternate arrangements. You are, after all a duke."

"Which is exactly why my instructions should be followed in the first place," James said pointedly.

"James, this is the first time I've seen her actually go out with a suitor. She's looked miserable for days and this was the one thing that got a smile on her face. So no, I was not going to crush her dreams and hopes once again."

A flair of anger filtered through James' body upon hearing his aunts' words, but there was nobody to blame but himself. If she was happy then he should let her go. It was the right thing to do, but why did this ugly feeling flair up inside him then? And why was he itching to inflict some sort of bodily harm onto the captain? He could not possibly be feeling jealous, could he? Shaking his head, he ignored the thought—it was just too ridiculous.

His aunt gave him another look as she leaned onto her cane for support. Her grey eyes seemed more preceptive than usual, "You should be happy as well. If they are a match, you will no longer have to deal with two ladies under your roof and you can go back to being a bachelor— and whatever audacious activities they get up to."

Suddenly remembering why he was rushing in the first place, James leaned in and gave Aunt Esme a kiss on her rough cheek. "I must be off, especially since I'll have to find a hackney now," the last few words were said slowly in a deliberate tone.

Aunt Esme narrowed her eyes but didn't say anything as James left the house, rushing towards Almonry as fast as he could get there.

***

"Where is she?" James demanded as he entered the office.

Baldwin appeared from behind the door, much calmer than James expected. "Gilford should be here shortly with the lady in question," he said. "Meanwhile, may I offer you some tea or brandy?"

Irritation was what James felt. This was the second time as many that the Bow Street Runner had arrived after James. Noticing that Baldwin was still waiting for a response, James shook his head at the man's offer. He had drunk quite enough last night and for what awaited them, James needed to be as sharp as ever.

"Morning gentlemen," Gilford said as he strolled into the office casually.

James immediately stood up and looked behind the Bow Street Runner. "Where is she?" he echoed his earlier question.

Gilford looked at James unbothered by the impatience in his tone. "Before she comes in, I need you to promise to speak to her gently. She has been through a lot and frightens like a mouse."

"And you're sure it's her?"

Gilford shrugged his shoulders and poured himself a drink. "Pretty certain, but like anything in life, I cannot give you a hundred percent certainty."

James' eyes narrowed at Gilford's words, but the Bow Street Runner looked unbothered.

"Perhaps it would be better if Mr. Baldwin was not here."

Mr. Baldwin's skin sheened under the pressure of their gazes. James could not fault the man. Nodding at Gilford's suggestion he spoke, "It may overwhelm her to meet two men at once. I'll send for you later to speak about the betrothal if need be."