010

✦ Chapter 10: Maybe Not Today ✦

THE SORENESS OF her feet became all she could think about. They screamed at her to sit and take a much needed break. Her eyes, heavy from the lack of sleep the previous night, begged for her to get some rest. Isla had to ignore them. She had to ignore the way her whole body was exhausted. They were on a mission, and she couldn't show weakness. Not in front of the others.

Isla could tell Killian was also tired. His head hung as he loosely held his spear at his side. The group had decided to search the buildings immediately surrounding the cornucopia. There was a squatter nearby, and according to Nero, they had to be eradicated.

"Nothing." Nero huffed as they finished a thorough walk through of the last building. They had assumed the tribute would run as soon as they saw the careers had begun looking for them, but Nero pointed out that there would be some evidence left of them, whether they were still there or not. Which was why he had put Isla in charge of keeping an eye out for any sign of tracks or traps. However, she had to admit her brain wasn't functioning at full capacity. All she could think about was sleep.

"We should split up, cover more ground. They can't be far, and the longer we take to look, the farther they could get." Andromeda pointed out. Nero nodded in agreement, looking at the group of five. He seemed to silently debate something before speaking up.

"I'll take Killian and Chiffon, you go with her." He pointed at Isla as he spoke to Andromeda. Everyone just nodded in agreement. Honestly, Isla neither adored nor disliked Andromeda. Their only connecting factor was the blonde from District One, and both being careers of course.

Isla couldn't help but feel as though separating her from Killian had a reasoning behind it. What that might be, she couldn't be sure. Possibly the others worried that the two had made plans while they had been gone, or maybe the three careers had made their own plan regarding the District Four tributes. Isla guessed she was about to find out.

She stalked off with the brown haired girl. Andromeda made Isla feel huge, as the girl was the shortest of the group and rather petite. She was pretty, but not in the same way as Isla or Chiffon. She was deadly looking yet beautiful, with a mousy nose and sharp angles that edged her face. Her ice cold blue eyes seemed to glow in contrast to her dark hair and pale skin. Isla felt the two of them couldn't be any more different in looks. Even Chiffon was more alike to Andromeda, with her pointed nose and fair skin. Isla stood out from them, tanned with rounded features. 

They didn't speak for a long time as they expanded their area of searching. The two girls inspected several buildings before Andromeda finally broke the silence. "What took you guys so long, other than the ankle?" She asked, sending a sideways glance at the girl next to her.