008

✦ Chapter 8: Just Like Home ✦

THE BLINDING RAYS of the sun beat down on the backs of the two District Four tributes. They had slept into the day, but there was no escaping the heat as the sun sat at its peak. They couldn't afford to wait until it began to dip passed the buildings' skyline, they had to keep moving. Isla wasn't sure, but she had to guess they were at least over halfway there by now.

Killian hadn't said anything about the night before. She hadn't either. It was as if there was an unspoken understanding that it had been purely for survival, nothing more. Isla could sometimes still feel his body pressed against hers, and the way his muscular arms enveloped her inside of them. She remembered the heat that radiated off of his bronzed skin, as if he was the sun himself.

She mentally shook her head. Now wasn't the time to be thinking in that way. She had to focus, especially with the two walking in broad daylight. Although likely unsure how to use them, there were still seven tributes remaining, and a few of them did have weapons. What ones, she didn't know. Her assumption was just small blades, but that didn't matter.

Isla dragged her feet, cursing the District Two male for making her do this. It had crossed her mind, the idea that Killian and her just didn't go back. Eventually, the three others would run out of water, and be forced to make the trek themselves. A sponsor could try and give them more, but even they can only give so much.

By the time they would reach the lake, they would be tired and dehydrated. Easy prey for the golden haired boy and girl, who would be sat there waiting for them. It would seal their fate, and ultimately the games. But what would Isla do then? That would leave just her and Killian, and she wouldn't be able to kill him.

It sounded easy, to just kill everyone you see and win. What most people who watched the games didn't understand was that almost every scenario had a flaw to it. And the biggest flaw in most outcomes that Isla could think of, was Killian. In every possible way she played out her ideas, it always ended up being the two of them. An outcome she couldn't allow to happen.

"Did you hear that?" Killian stopped and whispered. Isla skidded to a halt, looking at the boy's blue eyes as they filled with focus. She looked around, trying to understand what he was talking about.

"Hear what?" She mumbled back, at a loss. She had been so wrapped up in her own thoughts, and putting one foot in front of the other, she had become oblivious to her surroundings.

Killian pressed a finger to his lips, whisking himself off of the street and against a building. Isla followed suit, pressing her back against the hot surface. "Someone's here." He mouthed to her, and she felt as her eyes widened in surprise. She hadn't expected to run into anyone. Although half the tributes still remained, the arena was so large that she just assumed the others were spread out in the farthest corners of the map.