Relentless Part 1

Maddox

"I want her back now!" shouts Maddox into the crowded room. Many people surrounding the glass coffee table, policeman the private investigators all staring at him. Some holding china turning towards the older couple sitting comfortably on their white lavish sofa. Waiting instruction from the quiet couple. Police chief receives a nod from the impeccably well-dressed man, turning towards the outburst. His own suit unbuttoned and wrinkled. His hands moving through his hair trying to keep his emotion in check. If his eyes starting to glow have not given him away yet his temper soon will. Losing sight of his supposed mate infuriates his wolf. Police chief moving towards the French doors, pulling on his now creased suit with him on the way out of the room "I know your worried about her Maddox, but we are doing all we can, cool down or you'll be furry and the wolf will be out of the bag. I have the best detectives out searching every nook and cranny looking for her". Smacking his hand on his back leading him further out "you are the last to speak to her that afternoon." Pacing the patio "Even on the cameras around the park only show her going in". Maddox stepping close to his friend "the packs out looking too" whispering into the air pulling him further out of view of the windows "We have searched every inch of that park and found no trace of her. Either she ran on her own or the people that did take her know how to stay hidden" gripping Maddox's arm forcing him to look into his eyes. Police chief being his long-time friend trying to keep Maddox calm, "your pacing and shouting at her parents isn't helping to find her" keeping his eyes "we have known them our entire lives you know they'll stop at nothing to get her back" keeping his attention Maddox crashes onto the wooden bench holding up the railing. Maddox growling "you know I can't. They are sitting there like she is out at the shops not missing for months! She's been gone three months now!" working his hand through his hair. Getting off the floor eyes glowing, his wolf fighting to get out, to search again. His wolf more frantic each passing day without her.

Deep breathing helping his claws recede, eyes glowing yellow fighting his wolf for control. Maddox running his hands through his hair "I'm going out of my mind, I know we weren't properly together, but we were getting there with the wedding next year. I miss those daily messages more than I thought I would. After they told us we were arranged, both of us making a friendship. I can feel she is my mate. Waiting for her to feel it too has been killing me. I know humans are different. They don't have the same instincts". Maddox pacing the deck "I don't know if I can get her to accept me but dammit I need her back" his hands going down his scuffed face towering over his lifelong friend "James I want her back". Giving his friend a hug "you know I'll do all I can to get her back, we all will, she was my friend too way back when" hugging him back, reassuring each other. Pulling away briskly James holding Maddox's head "I must get back in there, need Stella and Alister to pool our resources. Them calling in others is making things more complicated, got wolfs butting heads out there. You going to be ok Mad?" sincerity written across his face "I'll be better when you find her, any updates or anything at all you call me ok?" Holding his friend's arm as they walk away from each other "I will Mad" offering a small smile before he goes back into the mansion, leaving Mad to get his wolf under control.

Maddox left alone on the terrace silently breaks down, bracing himself on the small wall overlooking the gardens. Never been an emotional man but not knowing where Riley is, getting to him worse than he thought possible. Not being able to scent her, see her. Having their last moments together on a loop in his head remembering her smile as she left going about her day like any other. Neither of them knowing it was the last time.

A done deal made by their parents, both esteemed individuals from powerful old money families on her twenty-first birthday they were to be wed. She was told on her sixteenth birthday. Riley was not excited by the arranged marriage. As time grew and they spent time together, growing close much to their parent's satisfaction. Riley was his mate; he could feel it in his bones she belonged to him. The marriage and getting her family on board was the hard part, his heritage and family money made it easier to get her family to agree to an arranged marriage. Riley doesn't know much about the shifters even that Maddox is an Alpha wolf. He was hoping to convince her of their connection the more time they spent together. She had confided in him about her art, both knowing her parents would not approve, testing him to see if he would feel the same or approve of her artistic side. She had a talent even he could see that; he wouldn't know Van Gogh's work from a street artists piece. Pulling out his phone, gazing at his secret picture collection of her, working in her secret studio only he knows about. She doesn't know he paroles it on a regular basis in both forms to check on her, his pack too. Spending many nights and days in there now hoping she will come through the door. His entire pack tracking her scent but coming up empty. Riley never knew he took any pictures of her working or even that he put a security camera in, needing to know she was always safe.