14 | Lucky & Drunk

Start from the beginning

"Whose car is that?" I asked out loud, unbuckling my seat belt.

When I didn't hear Jared's snarky comment, I peered in his direction and pushed my head back, surprised when I saw him glaring at the car.

I gawked when he threw off his seat belt and pushed his door open, only to stomp toward my house without another word.

The front door was open, so he invited himself in, while I remained gaping before forcing myself to move. I quickly took his keys out of the ignition and jumped out of the car before closing both our doors and running inside.

The moment I did, I froze.

Up the spiral staircase next to me, I heard men arguing. But running past the dining room and through the arched doorways, I peeked to my right, where the living room was, and saw mom and Jared's mom, Gloria.

Mom was holding Gloria's head to her chest as she cried, her face red and puffy from crying. "Mom?" I breathed out, her dark eyes snapping to mine.

I almost stepped back, alarmed by how pale she was, looking hopeless. "Your papa is coming home right now," she whispered, cradling Gloria's head.

"Is Rupert..." I didn't finish my sentence, because Gloria began to sob louder, just as the sound of something crashing upstairs perked my ears up.

My eyes widened before whirling on my heel, darting toward the spiral staircase. "Clover!" I heard mom hiss behind me, but I ignored her.

I took two steps at a time, and when I reached the second floor, I heard the crashing coming from the guest room, which was next to Dax's room, on the opposite hall from mine.

The second I stepped inside, I watched, horrified at the sight in front of me.

Rupert was laying on the floor, his face bloody as Jared continued to lay punches on his dad. I was pretty sure he was unconscious.

"Jared," I hissed, taking a hesitant step closer. "Stop."

Either he didn't hear, or he was ignoring me. "Jared," I began to plead. I was near Rupert's laying body and carefully reached out, waiting for him to pull his fist back before touching his shoulder.

Luckily, that woke him up from his trance before his eyes snapped up, glazed over and glaring. But the second they met mine, he began to exhale.

"Hey," I breathed out, walking around Rupert, so I was in front of him. "Let's go, okay?" I tilted my head slightly to see if Rupert's chest was rising.

After getting that confirmation, I sighed with relief and closed my eyes, just as Jared's arms wrapped around my waist. He held me tight as he lowered his head close to my neck, breathing heavily.

I laced my fingers into his hair. "Come with me," I mumbled, sounding more like a question than a statement.

With a shaky breath, he nodded. With that, I held his hand and tugged him out of the room. Mom was waiting at the bottom of the stairs, eyes narrowed with her arms crossed.

"Please check to see if he's okay," I mumbled. "I'll help Jared cool off."

She inhaled sharply and nodded her head once. "Your tatay is on their way. We'll deal with him."

I nodded and gave her a quick hug before turning to the door, only to see that Jared had already stepped out.

I rushed through the door and found him pacing his front of his car, his fists bloody and bruised from his assault against his dad. "Hey," I exhaled, waiting until I was in front of him to hold his hand.