I believed that. Before he visited during my senior year in February, I hadn't seen him since the year before. He stayed in his off campus apartment in the summer.

"What do you think Adrianna would have done if she found out he was cheating?" I pondered, smiling both with amusement and sadness as I glanced in his direction.

He flashed me a grin. "Probably cry. Then start a fight."

I nodded confidently. "She'd preach I'm not a pussy through her tears before burning something down."

We both laughed but quickly sobered up when he began to drive up the ramp to get off the highway. It was at that moment I remembered our hands were still connected.

Air felt difficult to grab a hold onto as I observed how Jared stuck out his thumb before rubbing circles on my hand. I felt paralyzed before forcing myself to raise my eyes, only to see him watching me soberly before clearing his throat.

He turned back to the road, and I noticed we stopped in front of a red light. "I'm dropping you off?" He guessed, just as I unlaced my hand from his.

"Yeah." I sucked in my cheek fat, turning my head to the window. My hand automatically rose to the silver, lotus necklace Jared gave me. "You remember where—"

"Really?" His tone was questioning, but I could hear his amusement as he spoke. "Of course I know where you live, Lucky. Gimme some credit."

I tsked. "I don't think you deserve credit."

My teeth pressed into my lower lip to stop myself from smiling when I noticed Jared glaring at me. "I deserve a shit load of credit." He smirked and confidently shrugged. "Taught you how to throw a football, didn't I?"

I became defensive. "Okay, you did not teach—"

"Yes, I did," he drawled causally, not taking my critique seriously.

"No you didn't. And even if you did, you'd be a sucky teacher," I stated, but instead of being offended, he smirked before beginning to drive again when the light turned green.

"Guess we gotta play again, Lucky," he stated gleefully, obviously enjoying the thought of me trying and failing to play football.

My eyes narrowed further. "No."

His lips split into a wide grin. "You being a scaredy cat on me, Lucky?"

"I'm not a scaredy—" I rubbed my temples painfully. "You're so annoying."

"And you're frustrating. Come on, Lucky. Just admit it. You need help. You need me," he taunted, leaning toward me. "Say it."

I pushed his head back. "Keep your eyes on the road."

He chuckled but did as I said. "Say it," he continued to drawl. I knew he wouldn't let it go until I did whatever he wanted.

"Say what?" I decided to toy with him.

He quickly narrowed his eyes on me before turning onto my street. "Say I need you."

"Jared," I gasped playfully, pressing my hand against my chest. "I'm flattered but I can't say I feel the same."

For a moment, he didn't respond. But as my house was coming into view at the end of the street, he threw me a glare. "God, you're..."

"Amazing? Talented? Gorgeous?"

He looked away from the road again, but when our eyes met, he didn't refuse or accept my claims. Instead, he just stared at me before turning back to the street. I watched as he pulled into my house, but my brows furrowed when I saw a random car parked on the driveway.

Lucky For Youजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें