05 ♛ THE KING'S ROAD

'here i have a pilot's thumb, wreck'd as homeward
he did come'

 'here i have a pilot's thumb, wreck'd as homeward he did come'

_______

IF FORCED TO decide upon one thing Reyona had learned from traveling the King's Road, with the king and his company, it would be to keep quiet and maintain a low profile. There were many suspicious characters traveling with them, and, occasionally, Reyona would meet the gaze of the King's executioner, Ilyn Payne, who sent shivers up her spine. 

     It wasn't the mere fact that he killed people for work that unnerved her, but the way his eyes seemed as if he too was among the dead.

      Lady Olenna Tyrell had not appeared to be too happy when she had discovered the King and his company planned to leave Winterfell the same morning they were to embark to Highgarden. Margaery informed Reyona, in hushed tones, that her grandmother had grown tired of the noble presence and wished to leave before them, but it had not gone as planned.

     The King's company seemed eager to leave directly after Bran's event, so it was decided that all would share the road together.

     "Lannister men are everywhere," Margaery commented as the two young ladies walked beside the road, arm in arm and enjoying the sunshine and warm air of summer. "You cannot seem to escape them," she chuckled, nodding toward two more guards as they stalked past the girls, their blood red and shimmering gold banners in hand, limply flailing in the light breeze.

     Reyona smiled and turned to Margaery, tugging lightly on the end of her thick braid. Septa Mordane had offered to put it up into a more 'southern' fashion for her, but Reyona had refused. She found the Southern hair odd and uncomfortable with all the intricate loops and tightly bonded coils.

     "Are there many guards in Highgarden?"

     Margaery nodded, leading the two to a small circle of boulders, deeming them a grand enough place to relax their feet for a small time. Lyanna quickly followed at her master's calves. "Yes, but they are a lot more cheerful; I haven't seen one of the Lannister guards even crack so much as a smile. Have you?"

     "I can't say I have," Reyona agreed, glancing across the road to gaze upon Sansa having her hair plaited by a few ladies-in-waiting. Even here, on the road, Sansa seemed to be the life of the group to Reyona. "The only time the soldiers seem happy is with a strong ale in hand and a minstrel to sing to them about glory days," Reyona jested, thinking of the nights filled with song on the road.

     They had been traveling a long time. Reyona loved the Lannister minstrel's songs the most. The way he danced around as he sung always brought life to his tales, and he would sneak her special winks when  Lord Stark was not watching. These winks were always accompanied by flirtatious advancements and the strumming of chords before Jory shooed him away.