03 ♛ THE LITTLE ROSE

'so foul and fair a day i have not seen'

_______

THERE WAS A piercing scream outside Reyona's window in the early hours of the morning. The sound was not entirely human the first time it met her ears, and, if she hadn't been awake prior, packing for the coming trip to Highgarden, Reyona would have been startled awake in fear. It sounded like a wounded animal.

     Fear gripped Reyona and she shuddered out a shaken breath, hopping delicately from her leather-cushioned chair. Reyona leant out of the window's the ledge in her room and peered down at the icy grounds of Winterfell, eyes searching for the cause of such an animalistic howl of pain.

     Not too far off, Reyona made out the sight a direwolf yapping and howling in the large blades of grass. She couldn't find the cause, nor the see the problem, but she could tell something was amiss. Beside Reyona's bed, Lyanna perked up at the sound, ears tipping up on her black-furred head. She jumped from her sleeping place and rushed to the door, claws digging into the stones as she barreled from Reyona's bed chambers, nudging the door open with her muzzle.

     "L-Lyanna!" Reyona yelled for her to come back, afraid that the unnamed wolf had been bitten by something deadly, or another misfortune that could, in turn, hurt Reyona's pup as well. "Damn it all," she bit out, leaving her dressing gown on the bed and grabbing a wool robe, not having time to change into a more proper attire before chasing Lyanna down.

     Reyona's bare feet padded swiftly down the Winterfell stone castle stairs as she tied a silk sash around her waist, praying to the old gods and the new that the robe would hold against her running. With her luck, Reyona was sure that Mother would catch her in her undergarments outside. Or worse: Septa.

     Reyona paused at that daunting thought, only for a moment, and she questioned returning back to her chambers for a proper dress. Another sharp howl of agony echoed as she met the cold, morning air outside. And, as it filled her ears, Reyona knew it was too late to go back. The pup was surely injured. Seeing the pup on her horizon, Reyona realised that it was Bran's unnamed direwolf howling at the top of its lungs.

     A horrifying thought flickered through her mind, freezing her stomach as Reyona ran, barefoot, through the sludge of the courtyard, following Lyanna as she took Reyona past the castle walls and towards the blacksmith's forge. 'Bran is never parted from his pup, they are practically bound at the hip!'

     "Bran?" Reyona called, chest heaving as she turned the corner, the unnamed pup in her sights. Reyona thought it was odd that the wolf was merely sitting in the tall grass, howling as loud as it possibly could.

     "Brandon, where are you?" Reyona called once more, this time turning my her onto the old, abandoned tower that rose above her, thinking he must be climbing. "Do you not hear your pup missing you?" She hollered, squinting her sight against the bleak stones as the morning sunlight reflected off their surfaces. She couldn't see her little brother on them.