Chapter Thirteen

The Prince

I couldn't believe it.
What the hell.
She's running away.
From the Prince.
From me.
Down the steps of the palace at midnight.
She stumbled and stopped halfway down, but kept running. I was about to turn to go inside, but I saw why she fell. She tripped and her shoe fell off.
  I went sprinting down the steps after her, not bothering to shout her name for I knew even if she heard me she wouldn't stop. So I resolved to pick up her shoe instead.
  It was kind of incredible, a silver that resembled glass. I turned it over in my hands and then slipped it into my jacket pocket. Once I got inside I would give it to Sam to put away so I could look at it later.

I walked slowly up the steps, not bothering to glance behind me, looking for a sight I knew wasn't going to be there. The sight of a girl in a beautiful blue dress. I walked quickly through the halls and back into the ballroom where I walked to the throne where a huge table with a massive cake was waiting for me. Johnathen was grinning from ear to ear, and I saw a tiny amount of frosting on the corner of his mouth.
  "Happy birthday!" He shouted.
I smiled, wrapping my arm around his shoulders. The entire room sang happy birthday and I blew out all of my candles.
I made sure everyone got a slice before I did, and handed Johnathen a slightly larger peice than the rest of the guests. After handing it all out, a woman in a green gown, gray hair piled elegantly on top of her head walked up to me flanked by two younger girls in the most, uh, interesting dresses I'd seen all night.
She curtsied and the two girls followed suit. "Good evening your highness, my daughters and I just wanted to personally wish you a happy birthday."
I bowed. "Thank you Madame..."
  "Tremaine. And my daughters Drizella and Anastasia." She gestured to the girls and they held out their hands.

I took each and kissed the top of their hands quickly, like Madame Pompee always told me to do. "It is my pleasure."

They giggled and drew their hands back. "The pleasure is all ours." They said in unison. Their voices were a little higher pitched than I was used to, and I kept my face from contorting in shock. While they looked lovely, I could tell they didn't have the same... Intellect that I was necessarily looking for. Not like E.

Ella

I tried to keep the tears from my eyes. I really did try. But some of them escaped. Which is kind of why I tripped.
And lost my shoe.
I totally could have picked it up. I mean, if I ever needed a pair of heels again, there was no way I was going to get another pair like these.
But, if he ever found me, I guess I wouldn't really need to worry about that now would I? He could just buy me a new pair.

After I ran out the gates of the Palace, I looked down and I was back in the same rags I had ran out into my garden in. And since I kind of had no way home, I walked to the nearest bar and called a cab.
As I was sitting on the bar stool waiting for my ride to come, the guy behind the counter gave me a funny look as he cleaned the mugs.
  "What happened to you sweetheart? Rough night at the ball?" He nodded towards my dress and I shrugged.
  "I guess so. I mean, it was actually pretty fun." I glanced up at a picture on the wall of the Royal family and gave a small smile. "He's really not so bad."
The guy chuckled and set his glass down. "So you met George?"
I nodded, not even noticing his informality towards the Prince. "We danced."
  "He's a good dancer."
  "Yes, he is." Then I realized he wasn't asking me, he was telling me. I gave him a funny look. "How do you know he's such a good dancer?"
The guy shrugged and picked up a new glass. "I work there sometimes in close proximity to him. We've talked a few times, not a bad guy. Not like his dad, more like his mom."
  "She was a wonderful woman." I blurted, then looked away quickly. She was nice from what the people knew of her. I just happened to know her a little... Better.
  "Yeah, real shame what happened."
I gave a small nod and yawned, watching the man clean his glasses. Suddenly there was a honk from outside and I stood.
  "It was nice meeting you," I said to the man.
  "You too. My name's Steve." He handed me a business card and I took it.
  "Ella."
I turned and began walking out of the bar. "Hey wait!"
I turned and Steve was giving me a strange look. "What happened to your other shoe?"
I shrugged. "I lost it. Goodnight Steve." I walked out of the bar, hoping I was able to get home to bed and hide my one shoe before Mary and the twins did.

Mary Tremaine

When the Prince walked in before blowing out his candles, the girl he walked out with was no longer with him. I waited patiently as he blew out his candles and handed out peices of cake before walking over and introducing Drizella and Anastasia.
  "Mother, I'm nervous."
  "What if he doesn't like us?"
  "Does my hair look okay?"
  "I think my dress has a wrinkle."
I gave an exasperated sigh. "Just do what I taught you and you'll be fine."
I lead the girls over there, gave all the formalities, but I could tell the Prince just wasn't interested, his gaze drifting over their shoulders to the doors. I would need to find a way to make him interested...
  I looked up at the clock, 12:45; time to leave.
"C'mon girls, were leaving now." I ordered, making my way towards the door.
  "But the Prince-"
  "Will still be here." I turned around and smiled. "Don't worry my loves, everything will work out in the end." They looked at each other, gave a shrug, and followed behind me. They knew what I could do. Who I had contacts with. And they knew that no matter what, mother always knew best.