Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 22)

Start from the beginning

The pack's guards had been doing rounds more frequently than they had before proving harder too. Adam tottered on the board of the pack's lands stepping over on their land frequently hoping to score the perfect hiding spot.

“Psst.” Adam's ear twitched at the noise. It definitely wasn't a woodland creature, craning his head around he peered slowly hoping to catch sight of who ever had spotted him. As he his eyes searched his hand instinctively inched towards the holster on his hip where his turned off the safety and engage the gun ready to fire at any moment.

“Adam!” A frantic whisper came from behind him. How could someone see him? He was wearing heavy forest fatigues and kept low to the ground in his search. And he knew he was at least an hour from another round from the wolves. “Adam, it's me Graham.”

A sudden deep sigh slipped from Adam's lips, he had been holding his breath preparing his body for an attack when there clearly was no need for it. It was simply his dim-witted brother. “Graham!?” He seethed as he turned to see a fatigue clad body crawling among the fallen leaves.

“You sounded like you needed some help, so I brought some friends.” Graham's buzzed head popped out from under his fatigue cover.

“Friends? Are you a fucking idiot?” His voice full of venom as he seethed quietly as to not alert any near by wolves.

“You just seemed like what ever you were about to get into you weren't coming back.” Graham whispered back as he nodded his head toward a thicket of brush just on the other side of pack lands. “So I brought back up.”

“You are seriously mental, you are aware of this. If this is suicide mission you just sign yourself and your friends up to die.” Adam clarified the situation for him.

“I know that. And you are also my brother. I can't let you go in there guns blaring without any back up.” With another agitated groan, Adam began the long crawl across the the pack's borders.

__

“Do you think there will be back up?” Royce questioned as he sat on a couch across from Connor and Griffin. His friends standing about the room would nod or comment along with the conversation but most of them left the heavy questions to Royce.

“I wouldn't put it past them. Royce you know my father, and how he can be. There is no doubt that he would have all his 'T’s crossed and 'I’s dotted.” Royce's head nodded as he pushed a hand over his blonde short hair.

“Well, no doubt with the wolves on our side we will have the upper hand, but it's all about placement and timing.” Royce added as he looked toward Connor for approval.

“I certainly agree.” Connor stood as he brushed his hands over his face. “Normally, I don't want to take the backseat in my pack's well being but I have never had to fight a shifter, needless to say an armed forces trained one. Griffin, I am looking to you for you thoughts in this, but I want to still be added in the decision that surround my pack. So what do you suggest?”

Griffin's eyes widened slightly knowing the agitation all this was putting on Connor with the inability to know what exactly how to keep his people safe. “Yes, sir. I want the pack safe just like you do.” With a quick nod of acknowledgment from Connor, Griffin continued. “Royce, what did you bring?”

Giving a quick hand motion, Royce watched as two men walked back out the door and to the SUV that waited in the driveway. They soon returned toting a tub full of Kevlar vests and metal boxes loaded to the hilt with ammunition. And slung over their shoulders were at least eight sniper rifles.

“So?” Royce asked with raised brows.

“Nice, very nice. But how did you get away with it?” Griffin grinned as he helped on of the guys removed the guns from over his shoulder.