The Big Bad Stranger Right?

He should have known better to think after all he had put the little colored girl through that she wouldn't just forgive him like that like nothing ever happened. No women in their right mind would keep someone like him around them even though all those times he was just teasing her it didn't make up for what he'd done but what could he do know he'd left and that's all she wanted was for him to get out her sight at least he got his forgiveness right?

I sat up against the tree I'd slept under for the second night straight, it had been three days since I'd see the little colored girl and it was safe to say she could care less what became of me. As I looked of into the small clearing I could see the cabin just a bit from where I stood it wasn't all that far away, granted she had asked me to leave her house but not the woods. If I left these woods that so perfectly hid me I was as good as dead and where else would I go I thought. At a time like this with the law still probably still on my trail wasn't no way in hell I'd take the chance and go out there and get caught. I watched as the colored girl made her way out the woods and a part of me wanted to panic what if she told the law where I was what if she led them straight to me but then I remembered even if she did, so she probably thinks I'm long gone and what Law men would believe the colored girl even saw me.

Evening was settling in when I heard the rustling of the bushes. At first, I froze because I thought I was all alone out here but then again, this place probably had animals, right? Maybe it was a bunny of something I looked of where I heard the noise come from and started clapping my hands for the little creature to come out, but nothing happened.

"come on out little fellah" I cooed but what came out those bushes was not what I was expecting.

"Oh shit!" I shouted "Down boy" I chided the beast I was looking dead in the eyes. It wasn't no bunny that's for sure it was a whole black wolf snarling as he looked at me. I slowly tried to back away but then the beast shot forward but just a little not enough to close the distance between us it was still a good ten feet away but still too close for comfort.

"Why me, why now?" dammit the last thing I need to do is get mauled by a big rabbit dog why can't I catch a break. I tried to back up again, but the beast shot forward scaring the shit out of me.

If I don't do something fast I'm going to end up as dog food I thought. I am not one for killing animals, but it was either me or him.

"alright beasty now gets on home or die here your choice" the beast didn't move, taking that as a challenge I pulled out my gun and aimed.

"last warning mutt" so I fired grazing the beasts tail causing it to jump back several feet and snarl even more at me.

"hay don't blame me mutt, I warned you, didn't I?" I watched as the beast crotched as thought he was about to pounce. So, I readied myself but then out of no where the wolf looked off into the opposite direction scuffed as he turned and ran away,

"Well then" I thought "YEAH YOU BETTER RUN MUTT!!" I shouted after it. Putting my gun away I thought about the shot I just taken at the beast tail "man I'm getting good" I said to myself with a grin. Looking off where the beats ran I wondered what spooked him cause up until a moment ago I though the beast was going to take a chance and risk it all just to get a nibble of me.

Then I heard it off in the distance the sound of a cart and not just any cart the colored girls cart, who else could it be this far out into the woods. The wolf wasn't scared it found an easier target one that wouldn't put up a fight like he did. That freaking overgrown dog was going after Dove.

His body went into overdrive at this point it was running on this unknown sensation that was pulsing through his body as he ran with all his might, he left to get to the girl before the wolf did and the beast had a whole five-minute head start if he didn't get there in time the girl was as good as dead. He didn't know why he cared so much but she was just a young girl she didn't deserve what the mutt what about to do she didn't deserve to die, he had to save her. He was running at top speed dodging trees and branches like there were nothing. He new he body was going to hurt like hell once he calmed the hell down but right now all it could focus on doing was getting to the girl, the girl!

Suddenly his blood ran cold as he heard her scream. Dammit was he too late. As he cleared the bluff that looked down on the trail the girl took earlier that day I watched at the poor thing was froze in fear and that little fucker crouched and about to pounce on her and my legs just moved on their own and before I knew I was in the air about to land on the beast back I braced myself for impact.

It didn't take the wolf long to sense me because as soon I was above him he turned and moved aside, and I hit the ground hard and with no remorse but with no time to recover I just got up pain and all I was standing on my two feet in front of girl.

"What...what are you doing here I thought...I thought you "

"What left? I did but I didn't go far aren't you glad I'm a stubborn asshole" I grinned at her then turned my attention back to the wolf.

"what are you going to do" she asked still somewhat out of breath.

"Well for one I'm going to get you out of here and somewhere safe, ok"

"But how..." I didn't let her finish before I took the opportunity to grab ger and shove her in the back of the cart she had strapped to her mule.

"now stay here and I'll deal with- "

"Oh My God!!" she shouted as the beats tackled me to the grow and I used all my strength the keeps it teeth from sinking into me

"Stranger are you alright ...say something" she shouted. She was beginning to get the wolfs attention and that was the last thing I needed

"shut it Dove before you get us both killed" I sneered back unable to really get a good word out as I fought for my life."

With all my strength I shoved the mutt off me and went to reach for my gun when I realized it wasn't there. Frantic I looked around to see where it could have fell and then my eyes found it but in the worst possible place ever it when just a few feet away from behind the wolf itself and I doubted that mangy mutt was going let me walk past him.

"alright, plan B" reaching in my boot I grabbed my hunting knife. This beast was going down today because I don't plan on dying. We circled each other as I sized him up trying to get a good idea of where I could strike and if maybe I could reach my gun but right now this was going to be a close-range fight and that meant I could run the risk of getting bit but looking at the beast it didn't seem like it had rabies. A lot was going on and everything happened so fast the girl's soft cries echoed in my head as they keep my blood bumping lord only how scared I was, but it wasn't of dying. I grabbed the weapon for dear life the charged.

"it's now or never"

I blacked out and when I woke a searing pain was shouting through my shoulder and I was looking the beast dead in its eye but there was no life in them. Doing the best, I could I turned on my side and pushed the body off me and saw where my knife was lodged in its neck I was covered in animal blood, but I was also bleeding I looked over to where the shooting pain was emanating, and the son of a bitch bit me, and I was bleeding bad I was losing blood and my vision was beginning to blur

Dammit how long have I been lying here? It can't end like this bleeding out in the middle of the woods I had something to do I needed to get back to her I needed to get back to Eva I made a promise. I heard some thing rustle behind me. whatever it was, was moving towards me at that point I couldn't fight it anymore and the darkness began to cloud my vison and as I faded away I saw a figure of what could be human.

"help...me...Eva..." I whispered as I faded into the darkness.