17 | g a m e p l a n

"Life is unpredictable, it changes with the seasons

even your coldest winter, happens for the best of reasons.

And although it feels eternal, like all you'll ever do is freeze

I promise spring is coming, and with it brand new leaves."

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ──────── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

SERENITY PUSHED AWAY FROM THE TABLE bewildered and frightened. Fearful for the life of her beloved, a life he was on the path to losing because of her foolishness.

Why did she have to be so ignorant, so hasty with her decisions? She paced back and forth the room, rubbing a hand over her face repeatedly, thoughts bombarding her mind from within; thoughts of shame, guilt, fear and uncertainty of the future.

In this moment, she was not at all proud of the vulnerability she was displaying, for she failed to be the warrior angel she was born to be, the warrior angle she was expected to be.

In this moment, she was not the strong woman with the softness of a mother, but instead the mother's intimidated child, damaged and afraid, the one still hiding in a lump under a warm, woollen blanket, awaiting the next monster to make an appearance.

But she could not bring herself to care, for the first time in her life she disregarded her appearance. Possibly because the other man in the room was exuding the same feelings of exciting and fright.

Slowly, she walked over to him and touched his elbow lightly, pulling him out from his own demons. "What do we do now, Marcus?"

Glimpsing at his unchanging face while awaiting an answer, she realised he was as lost as her. Unsurprisingly so. She doubted this was a situation anybody had gone through before, and honestly Serenity would not wish such a destiny on even her enemies for there is no worse feeling than losing a loved one.

But she would not lose Caius... she couldn't. She couldn't lose him because she had only experienced two weeks with him, and what were two weeks when you were promised an eternity with each other?

She continued in a whisper, "I'm so scared."

The vampire nodded his head in a slight vertical movement, affirming her fears. "As am I, but we must work fast." He harshly shut the wretched book lying ever-so innocently on the table, and turned to face Serenity fully, his arms going around her body to brace both her shoulders.

"Here is what we will do. I will send out a word in the vampire kingdom asking for help. The guards and I can recruit supernatural creatures from around the world and form a team of the most skilled doctors, nephilim, warlocks, anybody who might be able to help." Serenity rapidly nodded, letting him know that he had her full attention and that she was ready to do anything.

"But it will take at the very least, two days." Her face housed a befallen expression at this. Two days was a long time, and she knew they couldn't afford that, but the man continued. "You, in those two days, will go back to heaven and try to find a cure there. Do anything you have to, anything. Do you understand me? I will not lose my brother over this."

Serenity nodded and pulled out of his arms, turning her back on him and walking towards the closed door.

As she placed her hand over the doorknob to turn it over, she heard a phrase come out of Marcus' lips that gave her somewhat of an epiphany. "Change fate if you have to."