Chapter 16: Wrong Directions

Start from the beginning

-Jaemin, you two are dating. No matter if no one else knows about it, but Narae is aware of it. So, there's no need for you to scold her for something insignificant. – Jeno defended you, trying to reason with Jaemin.

-You told everybody. – Jaemin murmured, upset.

-Yes, I thought you wouldn't mind. – You spoke before looking around, noticing that someone might see you arguing. -Mr. Na, we are leaving right now. And you'll have the presentation tomorrow morning. – You said, trying to get out of there as soon as possible. Then, you grabbed Jeno's arm, pulling him towards you. Briefly, Jaemin took you by your hand, stopping you from going away. But Jeno put Jaemin's grip away, angrily facing his friend.

-Jeno, let's go. – You insisted.

-No. I won't let this man treat you like that; you deserve so much better. – Jeno pointed out, causing Jaemin to get madder.

-What did I do according to you? I'm keeping things strict for her sake. – Jaemin sternly claimed.

-Oh, so you are helping Narae? - Jeno asked, sarcastically smiling at Jaemin. -So, why did you rush to come to Narae if you are acting professionally around her? – Jeno questioned, making your eyes widen after hearing his words.

-Jeno, it's enough, let's go. – You worriedly said, pulling Jeno's sleeve. But then, you looked at Jaemin and shook your head. -Mr. Na, I know my place and where I should stand. So, I beg you to stop arguing. The other employees might see the situation. – You pointed out, politely bowing at Jaemin.

-Narae, you don't have to do this. – Jeno insisted.

-Jeno, please. I don't want more problems; I told you before and now. So, only for today, can you keep this aside? – You asked while glancing back and ford between Jeno and Jaemin.

Jeno took a deep breath before nodding his head, shortly stepping away from Jaemin. You smiled at him and thanked your friend.

-Can you wait for me in the hallway? It won't take long. – You asked Jeno, who nodded after hesitating for some seconds. Then, he walked away, leaving you alone with Jaemin.

-What is it? – Jaemin asked.

You bowed before smiling at Jaemin, not wanting to look defeated in front of him. -Mr. Na, Jeno is one of your best friends. So, with all respect, you shouldn't get upset with him only for this little misunderstanding. – You politely said while facing Jaemin.

-Ms. Cha, I'm grateful for the advice. But what matters right now is that you know my intentions with the way I treat you. – Jaemin spoke, which you nodded for in response.

-I don't blame you, Mr. Na. But if that's the way we have to speak to one another, I won't accept yesterday's petition. – You firmly said, referring to the relationship Jaemin and you supposedly started last night.

Jaemin widened his eyes as soon as you said those words. Then, you bowed at Jaemin one last time before walking away, smiling from the outside but feeling heartbroken inside.

You got out to the hallway, finding Jeno reloading against the wall, waiting for you to come out. Briefly, you smiled at him, shortly walking to his side.

-What happened? – Jeno asked.

-I broke up with him. – You revealed, your smile not fading away.

Jeno looked at you, stunned. -Just like that? -  He questioned.

-It only lasted for a night, and maybe that's the way it should be, Jeno. Jaemin devoted his life to this company, not to find love and enjoy the simple things. And I understand that his world is his job. – You disclosed, feeling pretty sad about the reality.

-I was the first to get mad at Jaemin, but don't you think it was a harsh decision? – Jeno worriedly questioned.

-Perhaps you are right, and I took a reckless decision. However, I can't be with someone that I don't entirely trust. Yes, I know Jaemin cares about me but is his love more important than his ambition? – You questioned, your eyes becoming watery in a matter of seconds.

-You are feeling scared of getting hurt again. – Jeno deduced before looking at you, concerned.

-I don't want to talk about it. So, let's go before Jaemin comes. – You sighed before looking away from Jeno, feeling very vulnerable.

-Narae! – You heard Jaemin's voice, making you feel anxious.

-There's no time to talk right now. Come on! – You dragged Jeno out of the hallway and took him to the emergency stairs.

-Narae, you need to talk with Jaemin. I'm angry that he believes both need to suppress your feelings at work; however, you mean a lot to him, and I know he doesn't want to hurt you. – Jeno pointed out, slightly worried.

Maybe Jeno is right. I did end things quickly because I'm feeling scared; however, it's unfair to make a judgment. After all, Jaemin doesn't know my reasons. I'm not sure of what to do. But I'll admit that this time, I made the wrong move.