The Stranger - Part 1

"Two chocolates, a vanilla, a peach, and a root beer float for Archie," Pop handed out the drinks. "Welcome home, son."

"Thanks, Pop."

"Since when do you drink root beer floats?" Betty asked as she handed Pop her card.

"I guess I'm just not in the mood for a strawberry milkshake."

"New drink, new hair," Jughead sighed. "New haunted, vacant look in your eyes."

"Guys," Veronica stopped them. "Archie just lived through The Revenant. Let him order what he wants."

"So, what did I miss while I was gone?" Betty's eyes just widdend, unsure of what to say first.

"Well, thanks to the town quarantine orchestrated by my father, Pop's was shut down and just reopened and he's also been attacking shipments to the speakeasy, but, thankfully, I've hired the Serpents as my full time protection and that service extends to you, Archie," she put her hand on his thigh.

"You don't have to worry about Hiram's goons coming after you or your dad," Jughead assured him. "You won't be able to see them, but I have guys watching you twenty four seven. And I have a possible lead that could diffuse this threat permanently."

"What, Jug?" Betty asked.

"You can't tell anyone, but Fangs is deep undercover in the Gargoyle Gang," he confessed, glancing around to make sure no one was listening. "He hasn't met the King yet, but he's still working on it. And when we get access to him, we're gonna take him down."

"It's the only good thing to come from Fangs being exiled from the Serpents," Aminity sighed.

"My bet," Jughead continued, "is that it's Hiram underneath the mask." He paused. "Sorry, Veronica."

"Don't be. I wouldn't put it past him."

"I wouldn't be surprised if Hiram's the one pulling the strings, but having someone else wear the costume," Aminity put out and Veronica nodded.

"Well, there goes studying for the SATs."

"What? SATs?" Archie looked at Betty.

"Yeah. They're this Saturday. Don't worry, Arch," she said once she saw the look on his face. "I will help you study and get you caught up, okay? We all will."

"And I'll have extra time since I don't take them this year. It'll all work out," Aminity tried to assure him. He just sighed, leaning his head back.

"I'm sorry, Betty," Pop said as he walked back over, "but your debit card was declined."

"I got you, B. Just put it on my tab, Pop." He nodded and walked away as Betty looked at her card with confusion.

***

"How are you feeling?" Reggie asked, looking up from the glass he was cleaning.

"Is that the only question people know how to ask me?" she asked as she walked over and leant against the bar.

"Sorry. I've barely seen you since you were shoved against a wall and your stomach was bruising."

"It's okay," she smiled. "I'm okay. It looks a lot worse, but bruises tend to do that. What about you?"

"I kissed Veronica," he admitted.

"Wow," she blinked, trying to catch up.

"Yeah and really bad timing too."

"Because Archie's back."

"Yeah," he sighed.

"I'm sorry," she put a hand on his arm.