Chapter 13: The Conversation After

Chase's POV

April 19, 2021 – Dawsonville, Georgia

I heard the door open – not surprised, having expected his arrival sooner than later. I watch as he takes a seat in the chair beside me, and all I can do is take a deep breath. Knowing what I knew, the conversation to come was obvious.

I knew he had left early this morning, and the reach out from Alex in saying he hopes I was okay meant Dad followed the advice I stupidly gave him last night. Sure, it was easier to have him learn from them because let's face it, he would eventually. But did I really want my dad in my business? I was an adult after all.

Followed by that, I knew he had a photo shoot and video to do for SRX. I was excited to see him sign up to the series, and excited to see how it would turn out. It was fun watching him interact with old friends, whether that be Ray Everingham, or past fellow competitors. It was nice to see the lease on life he had – only wishing I was the same at his age.

I knew when he'd gotten home – having heard the car pull up in the driveway. I knew it'd be a matter of time until he approached – there'd just be a slight delay with Mom inside. I actually was hoping they'd get talking and forget about this for awhile.

"How are yo-" He starts, trying to keep things casual I assume. However, I didn't need the babying – we both knew my feelings thanks to last night. Might as well kick the door wide open.

"You went and saw Alex and Ryan, right?" I question, just wanting to get that out of the way. If he had gone and seen them, great and if not, that was probably fine too.

"I did. I was actually surprised at what they had to say – from Alex telling me where things began, to how the tables have continued to turn. Every bit that they told me, it makes sens-"

"What did Ryan tell you? Did he tell you what truthfully happened?" I knew sending my dad to speak with them would get the answers I so desired as neither could probably get out of there with a lie or side-eye, frankly just like myself. Maybe that's why I had done it, despite blaming on it annoyance in my state last night.

"He told me everythin-"

"Can you tell me?" I swallowed the lump in my throat, now scared for him to continue. I could tell by his voice it wasn't the information neither of us probably wanted to hear, just as I figured once I spoke with him. I knew it was over then – and now it was time to face the music.

"I'd rather allow him to tell yo-"

"He has his chance, Dad. If he was going to tell me, that should've happened already." Truthfully, if Ryan was really in love with me and cared about me, I would have hoped he'd tell me the next day out of regret, if not at most a week later. It was months now, a whole month way to long if you ask me.

"I know what he told you initially, and I'll be honest, he has more that he should say. He is going to reach out to you – maybe today, or tomorrow, but soon. Now that I and Alex know the truth, he told me he would." Considering Dad wasn't going to tell me, I could always just reach out to Alex. He hadn't lied to me so certainly he'd spill the can of beans all at once.

"Why won't you just tell me?" He knew I was in agony and as a parent, that had to be the worst thing to watch your child suffer through – or at least that's what they say. He could end everything with just a simple explanation.

"Chase, anybody could tell you – heck, I believe Isabelle sang like a canary to you." Did Alex really have to repeat my own words? "You probably know the truth that something happened already in your heart; that's why you're so tore up or everything, needed the space from Ryan to try and convince yourself. Chase, the only way you get closure is simple – by hearing it from the source himself, in hearing what he did and why." I hated to admit when he was right but a part of me deep down knew he was. It explained everything....

"Okay..." What else was I supposed to say?

"But do me one favor – hold your friends close, allow them in and see what you're going through. You can't do this alone, so having someone there to lean on, vent to, cry to is everything. I know you have Ma and me always, but friends are also benefi-"

"Are you implying Alex?" I had to ask given the fact he had just spent a good bit of time interacting with him that morning on a personal level. I was curious as to what he felt from the conversation, having gathered my own feelings – but worried they were clouded by everything else.

"Maybe, considering you both have talked a lot already and he knows what's going on. There's got to be some trust there I'd assume." I couldn't deny that as he was the only person I had openly said anything about everything to – outside of Ryan and Isabella of course. it was why I reached out to him that night, too.

"He seemed pushed off by my reques-"

"He was worried that you would do something that you'd regret. Chase, I know that you trust my judgment. I talked to him for a good bit and he shared a lot of feelings – about Ryan, what happened, and most importantly, you. They were genuine, heartfelt, and I can assure you that there is no ill-feelings about what happened. Don't be afraid to lean on him."

Taking a deep breath, I allowed myself to look towards my phone, back to the text that he had sent that morning. I hadn't responded, not even sure what to say or react. Though hearing an argument for his character and assurance, maybe I should.

Maybe Alex came into my life for a reason.