Chapter 13

The morning of the race finally came around, after a sleepless night of training he felt ready. Strip wanted to push himself in order to win, an issue that would come at a very big cost. "Hey little brother, remember to take it easy out there. These other guys? They got nothin' on you." Alex reassured his younger brother, however Strip didn't seem to be taking any of that on board. He was too busy with being focused on winning. "Yeah, sure thanks Alex." He made his way towards the exit, stopping as his partner approached. A soft smile, growing on his lips. "Lia."

Ophelia approached Strip, sighing softly. "Please...just promise me you'll be careful out there Strip, if anything happens to you out there-" "Nothing's going to happen, just trust me. Okay?" Why was everyone worried about him getting hurt? He was Strip Weathers! Why would he, of all cars get hurt? Before Ophelia had a chance to say something else, she was cut off but a loud announcement.

"All racers, be sure to make your way to the start line! The race will be starting in a couple of minutes!"

"That's me, look I gotta go. I'll see you after the race, when I win first place." He grinned, kissing Ophelia as he left the two cars. Other racers, leaving their families. "Don't worry O, I'm worried as well. all we can do, is hope he doesn't let this cockiness get to his head." Alex added, both he and Ophelia making their way to the mosh pits. Strip had always been the type of car who purely raced for the fun of it, he'd always loved doing it since he was a kid. But now? Victory was the only thing that seemed to cloud his vision.

The blue Plymouth Superbird approached the start line, followed by a bunch of his fellow competitors. Racers from all around, most like him while there were a good hunk of experienced racers, just like Brimestone. Heated tension filled the air between the competitors, every single of them wanting to win. "You know...it's not too late for you to back out of the race, Stripy. Save yourself the second hand embarrassment." Strip frowned, revving his engine in an attempt to block out the negativity given to him from Brimestone.

Brimestone chuckled, his plan seeming to work. "You're gonna regret entering this race. Mark my words..."

3...

2..

1...

GO!

The moment the lights turned green, the racers were off. Strip took off in an instant, smoke coating the air surrounding all the cars. He had first place in an instant, like it was nothing. The wind in his face, his confidence booming. Nothing could go wrong now, right? Locked in his luck of victory, Brimestone came up beside the younger car, grinning at the look on his face. "Not bad rookie, but not good enough." He chuckled, a smirk growing on his lips as he slammed into the side of the Plymouth Superbird. Strip swerved a bit, letting out a growl as he smashed into Brimestone. The two males, rammed into each other from the side.

Each ram, seeming to get worse. With the two of them having issues with one another, that only added to the drama behind them. Those two males weren't the only ones having drama, a bunch of others behind them were as well. Many shouts of complaint came from the roaring crowd, families of the racers, fans, both encouraging and discouraging the drama. Commotion, seeming to drown out the sound of the ramming cars. Sheer horror, filling Ophelia's eyes. Why was Strip acting like this? Alex simply shook his head, seeming to be disappointed in his younger brother. Acting cocky and ruthless...that wasn't like him at all!

"What is he doing?" Ophelia's voice trembled, watching as if the scene before them couldn't get any worse.

"Just what it looks like, Lia'. Givin' the Brimestone exactly what he wants. A reaction." He rolled his eyes, a huff escaping his lips. "These two be out here fightin' like a couple of school girls."

School girls? Was that really how they were acting? So close, yet so far away. Turning the final bend, another hit was delivered to the young Plymouth Superbird, a groan escaping his lips. Even through all the pain he was in, the damage he received, he still kept persevering forward. He had to win! He couldn't loose! He wouldn't! Everything around him felt as though it'd came to a stand still, he could feel his heart beating in his chest, a breath of relief escaping his lips. Take that Brimestone...you didn't manage to beat me. Whose the rookie now?

"He's done it! Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time in almost 10 years we've had a rookie win the cup! Give it up for Strip Weathers!"

Roars of cheers filled the air, hearing his name chanted throughout the crowd? It felt...amazing. Exhaustedly, he drove back towards the mosh pit. His awaiting crew, cheering, exchanging words of encouragement with the young car, wheel bumps. All this support was everything he'd ever wanted. It all seemed to be perfect, a bit...too perfect. Strip's face changed once his brother and girlfriend entered alongside the others. The excitement seeming to rush away in an instant. Expecting to see faces of proudness, only to be met with looks of disappointment. He couldn't understand why.

"Are you both...proud of me?"

"Strip...just look at the state of yourself, you've got dints all over your body, scrapes. I can't say I've ever seen you act so cocky, so...reckless. I'm happy you won, but what you went through in order to do so?" Ophelia sighed, glancing towards Alex.

Alex exchanged a glance with the younger girl, his eyes darting towards his brother. "What Ophelia means by that baby brother, is that you gave Brimestone exactly what he wanted. He wanted you to ram him, get angered. You did just that. Just look at the state of the others, was all of that damage really worth winning?"

He blinked a few times, as if his brain couldn't fully comprehend what he was being told. He took a moment to think, realization spreading across his face. "Shoot...you're both right, I'm sorry I just-I got so caught up in wanting to win I didn't even realize what I did until well...it was too late." Strip bit his lip, wincing from the sudden surge of pain that grew gradually. 

Opehlia came to his side, examining the wounds he'd received. "I wish you'd managed to escape uninjured but...it's a bit too late for that. What we can do now however, is get you to the medic." She placed a soft kiss on her boyfriends cheek, smiling gently at him.

"You know, I'm forever thankful for you, Lia'."

"I know, cow boy. Come on...get movin."

As the group left, Brimestone watched them. A smirk forming on his lips, he was impressed to say the least. "Not bad for a rookie, I don't think this'll be the last we see of him...bad news for him as well. This won't be the last time he sees me."