Chapter 2

(Who is this man and what has he done with Hideyoshi?) This Hideyoshi was all bright smiles and cheer.

Mai: "Sure. After you, I guess?"

Hideyoshi: "Great. Lets go."

-----

(I've been cooped up so long I'd forgotten what fresh air was like!)

Hideyoshi: "Town's pretty crowded today. Stay close, Mai."

Mai: "I'll be right behind you."

Children played in the streets, vendors hawked their wares, neighbours talked and laughed. There was a myriad of smells too: fresh fruit, brined fish grilling on pine charcoal, floral perfumes, and aromatic incense.

Mai: "I missed all of this when I first arrived. But it's pretty lively here, isn't it?"

Hideyoshi: "Of course it is. This is where Lord Nobunaga makes his home. Azuchi is one of the biggest cities in Japan right now. Lord Nobunaga abolished taxes and dismantled guilds, allowing the free market to flourish. He removed the check points restricting travel so merchants, goods and customers now flow into Azuchi freely."

(You know, we covered Nobunaga's revolutionary politics in class. But here, I can see the effects with my own eyes.)

My dormant scholastic knowledge lurched awake, thanks to time travel.

Mai: "If I knew this was going to happen, I would've brought a textbook with me, not that 'Hottest Warlords' travel guide."

Hideyoshi: " "Hottest what?"

Mai: "Just ignore what I said." Distracted, I'd let my guard down. I hoped Hideyoshi would let it pass, but I needn't have worried as—

???: "Hideyoshi!"

Hideyoshi: "Huh? Oh, Kiyo?" A friend?

A young woman hurried toward us. Make that lots of women...

Woman 1: "There you are, Hideyoshi! Finally let you out of the castle, did they?"

Woman 2: "We were thinking we'd have to start protesting at the gate!

Hideyoshi: "I guess I have been a little busy, haven't I? Did you get my letters?" The women quickly formed an adoring circle around Hideyoshi.

I stepped back before I could be crowded out. (Wow! That's right. I forgot Hideyoshi has a fan club--)

Hideyoshi: "I've told you there's no need to come all the way to the gate for me. What about your work?"

Woman 1: "I finished early so I could see you when you came back."

Woman 2: "Hideyoshi, will you be staying long? I hope we'll have time to catch up."

Hideyoshi: "I'll send a letter as soon as things settle down."

Woman 2: "Of course! Take as long as you need!"

-----

(l didn't get the appeal at first, but I'm starting to see it now.)

Even while he had me under observation, he was always watching out for me. The day I got sick? He came and checked on me all throughout the day. If Mitsunari's smile was ice cream on a hot day, Hideyoshi's smile was the warm sun coming out in winter.

(He's thoughtful, good looking, and according to history, he's got a skyrocketing career. Yeah, he'd make a great catch!)

I was surprised by my own budding interest. Woman 3 "Hideyoshi, are you busy? If not, we can catch up over tea."