Chapter Twenty-Four: Haunted

Start from the beginning

"You're repeating yourself, you know that? You're repeating yourself," Tony said back to him. 

"You're repeating yourself. You're repeating yourself. You know– No."

"Dude, come on," Tony said, rolling his eyes. 

"I don't think we have time for all this," I said, my own emotions running high. 

"You never wanted a time heist, you went on board with the time heist–" Scott said accusingly. 

"I dropped the ball," Tony admitted. 

"And we need to pick it back up," I said, trying to find a solution. 

"Are there any other options with the Tesseract?" Steve asked the two of them. 

"No, no, no. There are no other options. There are no do-overs. We're not going anywhere else. We have one particle left. Each. That's it, alright? We use that– Bye, bye. You're not going home," Scott said frantically, he waved his hands around as he paced back and forth. He was looking more and more frazzled by the second. 

"Yeah, well if we don't try, then no one else is going home, either," Steve said, trying to mediate the two. 

We all sat there for a moment, everyone trying to think of a solution. Well, the three of us were thinking of a solution, Scott was moping off to the side. His arms were crossed across his chest like a 5-year-old who was told no. 

"Can you please calm your thoughts?" I begged him. "They're running all over the place and it's making it impossible to think." 

"Yeah, sorry," Scott mumbled. He took a deep breath, looking as if he was trying to calm himself. 

"You've never seemed to have that problem before," Tony observed. 

"Well it's always been there, but it's been more of annoying buzz. But..." I trailed off, not sure if I wanted to reveal what I've been feeling since we came back to the past. Since we have been near the stones again. 

"But what? You want me to trust you, but you never reveal anything," Tony said. 

"Okay, fine, sheesh," I said like a teenager who was trying to get her mother off her back. "Ever since we came back here since I have been near the stones, it's like... well it's like it's been calling out to me." 

They all stared at me silently. No one said a word. 

"Okay, see! This is why I keep things to myself, I just sound weird!"

"It isn't weird sweetheart," Steve said, rubbing my arm. 

"But, it is," Tony said. "Not because of what you said, but because we don't know why it's happening. Or why it's happening now. You definitely shouldn't be in charge of the stone." 

"Oh great, now that's showing your trust in me," I argued back, feeling defensive. 

"It's not because I don't trust you, but it's because we don't know why you're feeling a pull. It could be dangerous. You could be dangerous, no offense. You've been dangerous before, and that was before your powers were at they are now," Tony concluded, but he softened his words at the end. I could tell he meant no harm.

"Well, regardless of what I'm feeling, we can't stand in this alley forever. We've got to get moving."

"Anyone think of anything?" Steve asked. Although he was talking to the group, I could feel his eyes on me, protectively. 

"I got it. There's another way. To retake the Tesseract and acquire new particles. We'll stroll down memory lane. Military installation, Garden State," Tony suddenly exclaimed. 

"When were they both there?" Steve asked. They were both obviously on the same page. 

I had no clue what either of them was talking about. 

"They were there at a– I've got a vaguely exact idea."

"How vague?"

"What the hell are you two talking about?" I asked impatiently, not used to feeling left out between the two of them. 

"Yeah, we need to know too," Scott threw in.

"I know for a fact they were there," Tony continued. 

"Uh hello?" I asked again.

"And I know how I know." 

"Guys, what's up? What is it?" Scott asked this time. 

"Well, it looks like we're improvising," Tony concluded. 

"Right. What are we improvising?" Scott asked. 

 "Scott, get this back to the compound," Tony instructed, handing Scott the case. My eyes lingered over the case, feeling as if I should open it. Just a crack. My hand absently reached out, but Tony slapped it away. 

"Hey!" 

"Suit up," Tony instructed Steve and me. We both pressed the button on our suits, activating the time travel outfits. "Just look in our minds and you'll see what you need to. I give you permission this time Smithy." 

I gave a sarcastic smile. I peeked inside his mind, and right at the forefront was the plan he and Steve were covertly talking about. 

"What's in New Jersey?" Scott questioned, sounding almost jealous this time. 

"0-4," Tony started.

"0-4– " Steve repeated, typing it in. I did the same. 

"Uhh, 0-7," Tony instructed us. We followed his lead, typing in the same. 

"Excuse me..." Scott said, trying to butt in. 

"1-9-7-0," Tony finished, ignoring Scott. 

"Are you sure?" Steve asked Tony. 

"Cap. Captain. Steve, sorry, America. Rogers. Look, if you do this, and this doesn't work, you're not coming back," Scott warned him, I watched as he not so subtly motioned towards me. It was as if he was pointing out to Steve that I was at stake here. But, wherever he went, I went. 

"We've got this," I answered, patting Scott's shoulder. 

"Yeah, thanks for the pep talk, pissant," Tony said to Scott. But then, he turned to us, growing serious. 

"Do you trust me?"

"I do," Steve answered.

"Do you both trust me?" Tony asked again, now his full attention on me. 

"I do," I said without hesitating. 

"It's both of your call," Tony said finally. 

Steve and I looked at one another. 

"Where you go, I follow," I said to him in a brain message.

"We owe it to the world to try," Steve replied. 

"Together?" I asked.

"Together." 

"Here we go.

~~A/N Hope you guys have had a nice weekend! Here's a nice Monday update. I hope everyone enjoyed it, I'd love to see what you think!~~