chapter 3:

* Kenzie at the top\side*

I couldn't speak as I looked at the alpha, he was my mate. The person who found me, who had been a second father my entire life was my mate. The person I was supposed to mate with, marry, have a family with, was the alpha!?! I couldn't help but feel confused as to why this had happened, why I hadn't known when he had. " Layla are you ok?" The alpha looked concerned and I slowly looked him in the eyes " how long have you known?" He looked down at me and took a deep breath not breaking our eye contact " since I found you" I tried to hold myself together as my mind went wild. He had always known.

I don't know how I'm supposed to act around him anymore and he seemed to sense this as he looked at me softly " Layla nothing has to change, I'm still me and your still you, we're still us." I shook my head " no, we're not the same, we're mates, there is a huge difference there." I just wanted to scream right now, to let out my anger, my confusion, and my fustration. Anger because I didn't know, confusion because I didn't know how to act around him or if I could ever love him that way, and fustration because I had no choice. I couldn't reject him, I couldn't hurt him, I didn't want to hurt him.

" Im going to my room, I will speak to you later" with that I walked away, he accepted my choice to walk away. He knew I wasn't rejecting him, he knew I was thinking. I think people from miles around could hear the gears turning in my head. I ignored the people congratulating me like it was a surprise because I knew most of them had known he was my mate all along. I ran up the stairs to my room and slammed the door behind me. I walked over to my bed and laid my head in the pillow and then screamed into it, I was upset, very upset. If I didn't think of the alpha as a brother or a father I would accept him in a heart beat but I grew up with him! I needed a friend, I needed advice, I needed Kenzie.

I found myself infront of Kenzie's door, I hesitated but I knocked slowly and gently . I got an almost immediant response as the door flew open to reveal Kenzie who jumped on me the second she saw me. "Oh my gosh Layla are you ok? come in" she pulled me inside and closed the door before ushering me to the bed. I sat on the edge and she sat beside me. " I heard what happened, your mates with the alpha." That's the thing about Kenzie, any other girl would be squealing and telling me to go jump the alphas bones, but Kenzie realized that there was something wrong. " yeah" that was all I could muster up. She sighed " I know what your thinking, but he's your mate and all he's ever done is comfort and love you, he deserves a chance" I shook my head " I know, I know.... but he is like a father or brother, I'm afraid I'm never going to love him like I should" she was silent for awhile " you wont know until you try Layla, you have to take chances sometimes. You have to trust that if you trip and fall that he will be there to catch you."

Kenzie's words played over and over in my head, "you won't know until you try, you have to take chances sometimes." She's right though and that's why I had to give him a chance, that's why I was standing outside of his bedroom door trying to gather all of my courage and knock on his door. I took a deep breath and raised my hand to knock and just then the door flung open and I saw the alpha standing there. " Layla, are you ok?" I nodded as I noticed he had no shirt, I took a deep breath and averted my eyes from his 8 pack. I looked up into his eyes " I made my decision" he nodded and his face turned grave, he looked like he was expecting the worst. " I decided.... to give you a chance" his eyes immediantly lit up and a smile took over his face as he looked at me " really?" I nodded and smiled " A friend told me that sometimes you have to take chances, and that's what I'm going to do" he continued to smile down at me and he looked back into his room and back to me " would you like to come in?" I smiled " yeah, yeah I would" he opened the door further and let me in, this is only the beginning.