chapter 7:

I remember when Nathan and I used to camp out in tents outside the pack house. We used to say it was our secret place and no one else could come in. We would spend all night talking and later at night we would lay out blankets outside of the tent and we would lay side by side and watch the stars. We used to name them and see what shapes we could make out of them. I have to say my childhood was pretty good excluding the part where my pack and family died. Nathan always comforted me whenever I got scared or upset about my past and what happened, he has always been there. It's times like this when my life changes that things come into perspective and I'm forced to face my past all over again, or when I go to a therapist session like right now. They always force me to look back into my past and sometimes I'm ok and sometimes I'm not, it depends on the day. " ok Layla, think about what happened in your past, what do you feel when you remember your parents or pack?" I think it's pretty obvious. Nathan is sitting across the room on the couch and he knows I'm getting agitated but he insists that I "need this," yeah right. " I feel pain, I feel depression, I feel death." I heard the therapist sigh " Layla I need you to for once focus on the positive, there had to have been something positive within your childhood before or after your parents and pack were killed." Nathan, this pack , Kenzie," when I came to this pack it helped me a lot but it doesn't make everything else go away." The therapist clapped his hands ," great! Progress! Ok give me more, what's some examples of good times?" the tent, the nights where Nathan held me as I cried, the nights I had with Kenzie, lots of examples. " When Nathan used to camp in the tent with me outside. We would look at the stars and make shapes or say that they are my family and pack looking down on me and guiding me." I looked over at Nathan who smiled softly at me , encouraging me to go on and showing me that he remembers to. " This pack and Nathan has helped me through my rough patches even if there is more to come." I was officially done talking. Soon enough the session ended and I was more than happy to get out of there. With Nathan by my side we headed back to his room. " You know everytime we camped out it was special for me, you always opened up to me in some way. It was our bonding time." I nodded " I miss it sometimes , but we are mates now so our entire lives are going to be bonding time from now on." I saw him smile out of the corner of my eye and felt him take my hand in his. I didn't reject it, I enjoyed the feel of the sparks that traveled through me at the simple touch, " yeah, and it's all going to be amazing because my life is going to be spent with you." I felt happiness, a kind of happiness I hadn't felt this strongly in awhile.