Chapter 3- The swing, the touch and his smile

Chapter 3

The swing, the touch and his smile

I heard a knock. I looked at the wall clock.

6:30

“Mum’s early.” I mumbled walking towards the door. I opened it. “Hi Mom-“ I stopped. I found out it’s not mom. It’s Grey6 and why does he always have to smile?

“Hi.” He said with that grin of his.

I regained myself although I don’t understand the sudden palpitations of my heart. “What are you doing here?”

“You’re tutoring me right?” He said, still with that smile.

“No.” I said and closed the door.

I don’t understand why I’m so mean when it comes to him.

I don’t care.

I watched TV and pretended that he’s not outside. I bet he’s gone.

Then I heard my mother’s voice. I hurried to the door. “Hey mom.”

“Dean, we have a visitor here. Why didn’t you let him in?” She asked.

I looked at Grey who patted his shorts.

“It’s okay Mrs. Anderson.” He said casually.

“No , it’s not.” She said and turned towards me. “Dean, since when did you learn to be so mean?”

“I’m sorry.” I said.

“Don’t  say that to me. Say it to him.”

“What?” I said in complain.

“Do it Dean.” My mother commanded.

“Mom.” I complained. She looked at me-intently.

“Okay.” I grumped. I turned towards Grey who was obviously suppressing his laughter. “I’m sorry.” I said sarcastically, arching one of my eyebrows.

“By the way, what brought you here Grey?” My mother asked.

“Dean is supposed to tutor me on Physics as requested by our teacher.”

“I see.” My mother mumbled as she put her bag down on the couch. “To make up for our wait outside, you’ll eat dinner with us.”

“What?” I said in surprise.

“You heard me. Now get the table ready.” My mother said as she went upstairs to change her clothes.

 I looked sharply at him who was mischievously grinning at me.

I smirked at him and walked towards the kitchen.

“What can I do to help?” He spoke behind me. I didn’t notice that he followed.

“Nothing!” I snapped.

“You’re so amusing.” He said, chuckling.

I ignored him and opened the drawers that contain the plates. Damn, why does it have to be put on the topmost?

I need a chair just for me to reach them.

“Let me help you.” He said that surprised me because he was standing an inch away from me and I could really feel his warmth reverberating towards me.

Shit! What on earth am I thinking?

And I can’t move away because I’m sandwiched between the sink and his staggering built that I just notice.

He reached for the dishes and I smelled his natural musk. And oh, such a clean armpit.

He put the plates on the table that distanced us away and brought me back to proper thinking.

This is hilarious! I distanced myself away from him.

We ate. My mother did all the talking. I’m silently watching him.

Everytime he smiles, the way that lips curve around, something stirs me inside. I noticed that his mirthful eyes are Grey, very seductive.

Since he was wearing sleeveless jersey, his tight biceps were exposed and at the sight of it, I choked.

“Are you okay Dean?” My mother asked.

“yeah, don’t mind me.” I answered, trying to avoid eye contact with him.

I tried to calm myself but I really just can’t control myself with this overwhelming feeling.

I stood up.

“Excuse me, I’m done.” I said and walked upstairs.

I calmed myself. I realized my heart has been working double time.

“What’s happening with me?” I asked unconsciously. “Maybe a breath of fresh air will help.” I muttered and jumped off my low lying window.

I took a deep breath as I walked towards the park. I sat on the swing and ran my fingers over my hair.

“Why were you crying last night?” someone spoke and I know it’s Grey.

I memorized his voice immediately. Well, who could forget such soft, baritone voice?

“It’s none of your business.”

“Are you mad at me?” He asked.

I did not respond and I heard him sigh.

“maybe it was last night. I really wanted to talk to you but I don’t know how to approach you so I used the ball instead. I never thought it would cause such anger on you over me.” He said and sat on the other swing beside me.

“Maybe if we change the way we met, it might as well change your anger.” He said

I looked at him.

He met my gaze and he smile. The sweetest smile I’ve ever seen. There’s no hint of any mischief nor sarcasm. Just that pure and sincere smile.

He stretched out his right hand.

“Hi, I’m Archer Grey your new neighbor. You can call me Art, Cher or Grey. But I prefer the latter.

I stared at his hand for a moment and back at his face and back at his hand again. Just as he was about to put down his hand, I stretched mine and clasped it to his.

“I’m Dean.” I said.

I really wanted to remove my hand from his because of the unexplainable sensation.

He smiled.

I smiled timidly and I erased it immediately.