Chapter 13 - Grass in the hair

- What are you thinking about?

- Hm? - Branch lifts his eyebrows and blinks, still having his mind out of this world.

- You zoned out. What are you thinking about? - Poppy repeats her question and makes them stop walking. She gazes at his face looking for an answer, but his look is still faraway. It takes a minute or two until the goddess can't wait and she continues:

- Is this something I should worry about? It's okay if you don't want to tell me...

His sudden chuckle interrupts her.

- Oh, Sweetheart... - He shakes his head, giving her a nice, tender smile, her favorite kind. Her ears get down and turn slightly red.

- How did you call me? - She breathes out in blank amazement.

- Sweetheart - He repeats even warmer, glancing at her pink ears with a hint of satisfaction. - Cause it's sweet that you let me be silent. You let me be myself. You have such a heart of gold.

His eyes wander along the edge of her ear with curiosity and quiet admiration. He never saw her ears get down like that. Only now he notices they are in interesting round shape. He suddenly wants to touch them, to discover slowly their little curves and a long round edge. Maybe they are as warm and soft as Poppy's cheeks...

- Well, I just understand if you want to have secrets - She smiles shyly.

Branch blinks, realizing he got zoned out again.

- To be honest, I feel better not keeping secrets from you - He smiles, but then he realizes that now he has to tell her, what he was thinking about. The god swallows slowly, immediately feeling that he isn't ready to face the consequences of this confession. - So... I was wondering... Umm...

The goddess leans her weight against the Staff in her hand, waiting patiently for his answer. Her face is serious, she doesn't know what to expect, of course, she doesn't, they don't talk about this topic for such a lot time, they avoid to talk about this, Branch is sure she would even hide this in her mind and think that they would never come back to this, and he wants to break this wall of absurd, but oh my goodness, he knows what it means for him, and it means he will have to get out from his comfort zone, and that is just so haaaaaaarrrrrddddd.....

- Well I was thinking! - He starts once again, after a long while of hesitation and quick thoughts. - I was thinking about... Your idea... Your idea about... - He crosses his arms on his chest and clenches his jaw. He gets his voice really quiet, avoiding looking into Poppy's eyes. - ...Parties...

The goddess blinks and frowns. She leans across to hear him better.

- What did you say? I think I misheard something...

- No, I'm sure you heard it correctly - Branch murmurs. He titles his head back, closing his eyes, and sighs. He starts once again a bit louder. - I said... I said I was thinking about your idea to teach trolls how to party. Party. I think... You put so much effort into creating Midday and stuff... To make space for parties during the Night... And I kinda... It impresses me and... I kinda... Like. The. Idea. I want to... Try it...

Poppy gasps, opening her eyes wide with amazement.

- You agree to teach trolls how to throw parties? - She breathes out excitedly.

- Yeah... - He mumbles.

- And you like the idea of a party??

- Kinda...

- And you help me with it?? - She is actually bouncing with joy now.

- ....If you want me to...