BONUS CHAPTER 1 : SUNRISE.

Start from the beginning

"Hey!" Oikawa shouted, making his way towards the two people in the doorway. "Don't call Kimi-chan that." He gently pushed Yukimi inside the room, planting himself between the two girls. At the action, Mio's tears once again appeared. It was the first time she saw Oikawa this angry. Who was that girl he was protecting? For Oikawa though, the last straw was his ex-girlfriend badmouthing Yukimi. The brown-haired boy flashed a faux smile the sent shivers down the girl outside of their apartment. "Mio-chan, why don't we settle things in the living room."

Yukimi was now in the kitchen, eyeing the girl sitting comfortably on their couch as she started preparing breakfast. She pretended that Mio wasn't glaring at her and turned around to the refrigerator to get the vegetables and eggs. While she was immersed in making the mushroom soup, she felt someone stop beside her. Without looking up from cutting the green onions for the soup, she murmured, "Tooru, she doesn't know that you've been living with me for four months now?"

Oikawa sighed, pouring two glasses of water. "No. She never asked, to begin with."

Yukimi pursed her lips. "She just accused me of being your other woman."

The brown-haired man sighed again, more stressed than the last. "I know."

"Do you know how surprised I was?"

"I know."

"You need to tell her I'm your sister or this gets worse than it already is."

"I will. That smells amazing, Kimi-chan. I'm excited about breakfast." Oikawa ruffled Yukimi's hair affectionately before returning to the living room with the glasses of water. "Here, Mio-chan, I suggest drinking off that anger."

The dark-haired girl rolled her eyes, focusing her attention on cutting the carrot, green onions, and ginger in front of her. She vaguely remembered Oikawa mentioning a girlfriend the first few weeks they moved to Tokyo. Her brother suggested that before going overseas to pursue volleyball as a career, he will be staying with Yukimi to make her feel less lonely, and that meant that he was going to live his life to the fullest in his last months in Japan. That included trying out dating again. After a very heartfelt break-up in high school, Oikawa started dating someone again the moment they moved. For the second time, Yukimi had no idea who this person her brother was dating. He told her that the girl was the same age as them and that she could be in the same university as Yukimi. It's not that Yukimi cared too much but she wanted to make sure Oikawa is in good hands, supported by someone other than his family and friends.

Yukimi feigned nonchalance while mixing the fried rice, listening to every word Oikawa and his ex were exchanging.

"Even if I have nothing to explain because we've broken up." There was that sigh again. "Mio-chan, that girl who opened the door is family."

"So now you've gone off and married her?!"

Yukimi nearly dropped her ladle.

"Whatー?"

"This is why I should've listened to my best friend! You are no good for me!"

"Wait, wait. Kimi-chan is my step-sister. What are you even talking about?!"

Mio scoffed, throwing her hands in the air. "You're just using that as an excuse. This is what men always say. If a girl is found in their apartment, they claim her as their sister or long-lost relative when in fact, they were railing her throughout the night. Great, didn't know you were one of those bastards, Oikawa-kun."

Yukimi blanched, seeing the expression of disgust on Oikawa even though she wasn't facing the living room. There was a thud on one of the armchairs, probably the brown-haired boy plopping his form on top of the cushions to gain some sanity. She could envision him rubbing his temples like those times when he didn't like the serves he was practicing. She once again heard her brother's voice, "For fuck's sake, Mio-chan. First of all, that's disgusting because I wouldn't dare do that to Kimi-chan. After all, as I told you, she's my sister! Second, if I did that, not only will our Moms ー yes, Mio-chan, Moms, they married each other for your information ー disown me, her boyfriend and best friends will hunt me down. And let me tell you, Kimi-chan's friends are not some people you'd mess around with."