Chapter 4 - trialing time

Vegas Magic - Chapter 4

Trialing time

-------

After they woke Janet up and explained to her everything (she fainted when they told her about the magical world), Sirius agreed to let them stay until they could sort everything out. It was established that when the American branch of Blacks died out, the manor stood empty until some wizard on the city council managed to lower the wards and sold it to an unsuspecting no-maj couple. The fact that wards were in fact still functioning and could technically kill everyone not on the ward list in seconds was not mentioned in the sales offer.

Zatara would be the one prosecuting the wizard. It was illegal under MACUSA law to sell warded properties to no-majes after all. Drakes would receive compensation for the troubles, as well as repayment of their money if it was recovered. It was still better than Sirius just expelling them and putting the wards up. It was within his rights.

When it was all done and sorted out, the adult wizards sat together in the drawing room.

"You are aware that this marriage will blow up spectacularly?" Zatara asked after taking a sip of firewhiskey.

"Maybe. Or maybe it will actually help him."

"I must agree with Mr. Zatara, Padfoot," Remus spoke up. "I fear it will only lead to more hurt for Harry. The girl doesn't really realize what she got into. She is drunk on freedom right now. And probably more than freedom." He muttered.

"I for one think they might actually be a cute couple once they get settled." Bella countered. She was freed from the mix of love potions keyed to three different people when Sirius broke the marriage contract. Being under the influence of three different doses was keeping her mad while potions tried to fight one another and remained active. Still, some madness probably remained against Sirius' best attempts.

"What Remus and Giovanni actually mean, I believe, is that Zatanna is acting immaturely and believes it to be a trouble-free utopia while Harry is... he didn't get a healthy childhood." Narcissa served as a mediator.

"He didn't get a childhood, period," Sirius growled. "I thought... I thought he was safe and happy. It helped me stay safe in Azkaban. Then, when I escaped..."

"We all thought it was different." Remus tried to cheer his friend up.

"Maybe let's focus on planning for the future for now. We can discuss lack of upbringing later." Narcissa suggested.

"Fine." Sirius turned to Zatara. "How much did ICW hear about the situation in Britain?"

"Not much, I admit. I work as an ICW no-maj liaison since Justice League became an international organization."

"Doesn't that go against the statute?" Bella inquired.

"The statute of secrecy had more holes in it than swiss cheese when a mouse gets to it." Giovani joked. "In all honesty, the statute couldn't have been upheld in any real capacity for at least ten years now. Not with the amount of Dark Lords making large shows. Not even obliviators could manage to cover it all fast enough. It was altered to allow for no-maj to know about the existence of magic itself, just not the broader wizarding world."

"And you work as..."

"I'm the ICW no-maj liaison. I'm responsible for... pretty much anything that has to do with no-maj."

"But... why?" Bella still couldn't comprehend it. She didn't really get any Prophet in Azkaban. And even then, she was mad and probably wouldn't care.

"Maybe I can explain?" Narcissa offered. After she received a nod, she spoke. "Sister. If muggles know about magic, there would be those trying to find wizards. By making Zatara a public person, they have no need to look for wizards when a wizard is there. The wizarding world is pretty much hiding in the shadow he creates."