𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞

THINGS THAT ARE MEANT TO BE

five hours

Regulus had told her everything. Even the parts he wished no one knew. The parts with green lights and limp hands on dungeon floors and the long nights. 

"What is that?" Senara asked as she pointed towards his satchel. 

Regulus looked over and saw the letter peaking out. Worn and soft, it met its maker. 

"It's nothing," he said quickly.

"No it's not," she said. "Nothing means that there is not a thing present and there's a thing there."

"It's nothing of importance," he clarified.

She was not satisfied, but did not push him farther. She was surprised he had not killed her yet. Taken a knife from his bag or his wand and gotten the necklace that half the world craved and the other half feared. But then again, she was now Senara. 

"Well then what's that?" she asked as she pointed towards the bread.

"That's bread," he replied. "It's food." 

"Oh," she murmured.

He reached over and pulled the satchel towards his body and took out a piece. He offered it to her, the butter still slathered on top and took one for himself. He bit down, savoring the salt that laced the butter.

She took a bite herself and suddenly realized that it tasted familiar. She'd had bread before. She knew what bread was. She'd felt the texture of the bread and the holes in it. The powder that clung to the top. The slickness of the butter and how the salt slightly burned as it went down her throat. 

"I know what this is," she whispered. "I've had this before."

"Have you?" Regulus asked, excited.

She nodded and smiled as she continued to chew.

"I knew what this tasted like," she said excitedly.

Both of their eyes lit up at their small victory and yet no goal had been set. And it was in that moment that Regulus decided he liked the hour after the sunset best -- the twilight hour. Because while the fiery flames of the sunset were remarkable, the stars in twilight sparkled like Senara's eyes did just then.